|Meaning:||God shall increase, of Judea|
|Related Names:||Jo, Joan, Jodee, Jodey, Jodi, Jody, Joseph, Josephine, Judith, Judy|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Jodie was originally a nickname, though now of course it may be given on its own. It may be used for either males or females, and may have evolved from any of the following names:
- Joseph or Josephine: meaning, "God will increase."
- Judah or Jude: meaning, "the praised one."
- Judith: meaning, "from Judea."
- Joan: meaning, "the lord is gracious."
As a girl's name in the United States, Jodie was most popular during the 1960s and 1970s. Though it had appeared on the top 1000 chart a few times before, it began to hold prominence in 1950, after which it rose to the top 300 by 1967. Popularity of this name began to fall again in the early 1980s, and it last appeared on the chart in 1995.
As a boy's name in the United States, Jodie was more popular in the late 19th century. Popularity fluctuated, but it rose as high as number 489 in 1893. Popularity decreased in the early twentieth century, and it dropped off the chart after 1930, making only one more reappearance at number 962 in 1969.
The spelling Jody had more popularity as a boy's name, appearing between 1946 and 1996, and reaching the height of 162 in 1971. Jody as a girl's name graced the charts between 1940 and 1990, reaching to 153 in 1970.
Jodie is also a popular name in other countries, especially Great Britain and Ireland. In 2001, Jodie ranked as the 41st most popular girl's name in Scotland, the 47th in Northern Ireland, the 63rd in England and 72nd in Ireland. It has also been a top 1000 name in Australia, Canada and Belgium during the early years of the 21st century.
- Jodie Foster's real name is Alicia Christian Foster.
- A "jody call" (plural, "jodies") is a military cadence. The name comes from a character that recurs in many cadences, who represents the antithesis of military virtues and standards.
- Jodie Foster: actress (born November 19, 1962)
- Jodie Becker: romance author
- Jodie Beeler: baseball player ((born November 26, 1921)
- Jodie Kidd: English model (born September 25, 1978)
- Jodie Manross: singer
- Jodie Marsh: model (December 23, 1978)
- Jodie Mears: model (born March 24, 1972)
- Jodie Moore: porn star (born April 11, 1976)
- Jodie Nelson: professional surfer
- Jodie Scott: actor
- Jodie Sweetin: actress (born January 19, 1982)
- Jodie Whittaker: actress (born 1982)
- Jodie York: motorcycle racer
- Brett Jodie: baseball player
Jodie Smith, Jodie Johnson, Jodie Williams, Jodie Jones, Jodie Brown, Jodie Davis, Jodie Miller, Jodie Wilson, Jodie Moore, Jodie Taylor, Jodie Abegglen, Jodie Abrahmson, Jodie Addison, Jodie Aakko, Jodie Aaron, Jodie Abadie, Jodie Abate, Jodie Abbatangelo, Jodie Abbatiello, Jodie Abbinante-jones, Jodie Abbott, Jodie Abdou, Jodie Abel, Jodie Abeln, Jodie Aben, Jodie Aberle, Jodie Abernathy, Jodie Abers, Jodie Ables, Jodie Abrams, Jodie Abramson, Jodie Abrashkin, Jodie Abruzzese, Jodie Abt, Jodie Aceves, Jodie Acey, Jodie Achenbach, Jodie Acheson, Jodie Acker, Jodie Ackerman, Jodie Ackley, Jodie Ackman, Jodie Acosta, Jodie Acree, Jodie Adair, Jodie Adam, Jodie Adame, Jodie Adams, Jodie Adams-mceldowney, Jodie Adamson, More results
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||God shall increase, of Judea +|
|Meaningnc||god shall increase, of judea +|
|Origin||English +, and Hebrew +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Jo +, Joan +, Jodee +, Jodey +, Jodi +, Jody +, Joseph +, Josephine +, Judith +, and Judy +|