|Meaning:||God is gracious|
|Related Names:||Ivana, Jane, Janeane, Janeen, Janene, Janet, Janina, Jannina, Jannine, Gianina, Jean, Joan, John, Juanita, -ine|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Janine can be traced back through the French name Jeannine, which is a nickname for Jeanne, to the Latin Iohannes, which, having first been filtered through Greek and Hebrew, is the root for the name John. Having been changed by language and feminized, Janine eventually emerged as an English form of the name. The meaning is the same as that of John and Jane: God is gracious.
In the United States, Janine first appeared on the list of top 1000 most popular girls' names in the year 1938. After hovering near the bottom of the chart, it had a quick leap in popularity in the mid-1940s, jumping into the top 500 by 1947. The name remained moderately popular and reached a peak position as the 231st most popular girl's name in 1960. Janine's popularity began to lose steam in the 1970s, and by the early 1990s, it was back at the bottom of the chart. Janine has not appeared in the top 1000 list since 1994.
The alternate spelling Janeen made the list between 1945 and 1981. It was most popular in 1969 when it ranked as the 611th most popular girl's name in the United States.
Janine has retained more popularity in Canada and Australia. In 2003, Janine was the 679th most popular girl's name in Australia. In 1998, Janine rose as high as 435th in Canada.
- "Janine": 1969 song by David Bowie
- Janine: 1990 film directed by Cheryl Dunye
- "Janine: song by Claude François
- "Janeen": song by Jann Arden
- In the 1999 film American Pie, the full name of the character known as "Stifler's Mom" is Janine Stifler.
- Janine Antoni: artist (born 1964)
- Janine Benyus: science writer
- Janine Canan: poet and novelist
- Janine Duvitski: actress (born 1952)
- Janine Haig: writer
- Janine Jansen: musician, violinist (born 1978)
- Janine Lindemulder: porn star (born November 14, 1968)
- Janine Stange: musician
- Janine Stoll: musician
- Janine Tourville: writer
- Janine Turner: actress (born December 6, 1962)
- Janine Pommy Vega: Beat poet (born February 5, 1942)
- Janine Wilson: musician
- Janeane Garafalo: comedian, actress, writer (born September 28, 1964)
- Janeen R. Adil: children's author
- Janeen Brian: author
- Janeen Lee: model
- Janeen Mason: artist
- Janeen O'Kerry: author
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||God is gracious +|
|Meaningnc||god is gracious +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Ivana +, Jane +, Janeane +, Janeen +, Janene +, Janet +, Janina +, Jannina +, Jannine +, Gianina +, Jean +, Joan +, John +, Juanita +, and -ine +|