|Meaning:||God is gracious|
|Related Names:||Jack, Jackson, Jacky, Jacqueline, Jacques, Jacqui|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Jackie was originally a pet form of the male name Jack or the female name Jacqueline. Another version of the female name is spelled Jacky and pronounced exactly the same as the Jackie form. Originally only a nickname, the name is currently a given name on its own although its popularity has fallen heavily since it became a given name instead of just a nickname.
Jackie is used both as a baby boys' name and as a baby girls' name. Although it can be used for a baby of either gender, the names from which it is derived most often are gender specific. In the U.S., Jackie can be either a boys' or a girls' name. The popularity of each are recorded below. In general, the name is not as popular as it used to be.
Jackie as a male given name is more popular than as a female given name, although not by much. The name Jackie last ranked number 801 in the top 1000 female given names in the U.S. That was in the year 1996 and it hasn't made it back onto the chart since then.
As a male given name, the name Jackie last ranked number 896th, which was in 2001. It also has not made it back onto the chart of the top 1000 male given names in the U.S. since it fell off in 2002. Since it more recently fell off the boys' chart of the top 1000 names, one could say that it is marginally more popular as a male given name than as a female given name although the truth remains that it is neither on the male or female top 1000 given names at present. 
Around the rest of the world, the name Jackie is most popular as a boys' name in Canada (268th in 1998) and as a girls' name in Australia (359th in 1998). 
- Jackie was the nickname of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onnassis; her first husband's (John F. Kennedy)'s nickname was also Jack.
- Jackie Bouvier was a character on 'The Simpsons'
- Jackie Harris was a character on the show 'Roseanne'
- 'Jackie' was a 1921 film by John Ford
- 'Jackie Brown was a 1997 film
- 'Jackie' was the English version of the Jacques Brel song 'Jacky'
- 'Jackie' is a British magazine for teenagers
- Jackie Estacado is a character from the comic book and game 'The Darkness'
- Jackie Robinson is perhaps the most famous player of baseball in American history
- Jackie Allen was a football player
- Jackie Clarke is a New Zealand born entertainer
- Jackie Gleason was an American actor who went down in history
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee is a retired American athlete who medalled in the Olympics many times
Author: Rachel Hanson
|Meaning||God is gracious +|
|Meaningnc||god is gracious +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Jack +, Jackson +, Jacky +, Jacqueline +, Jacques +, and Jacqui +|