|Meaning:||star, evening star|
|Related Names:||Esther, Hess, Hessie, Hessy, Hestia, Hettie, Hetty|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Hester in an English variant of Esther and is thought to be of medieval origin. It is believed that for many years the two forms could be interchanged as “the addition or dropping of h- being commonplace” in many words. Now, however, they are considered to be two completely different names. Although largely an English name and with English etymological roots, there are records of Hester in Arabic, Greek and Scandinavian. All seem to mean some version of “star” or “evening star.”
According to the Social Security Administration, Hester has not been one of the 1000 most popular names in the United States since 1950. In that year, Hester ranked 889th after a steady decline from its heyday during the first 15 years of the 20th Century. In 1910, Hester ranked 264th, the highest ranking it achieved in the past 100 years. Since that period, Hester averaged a loss of approximately 100 spaces per decade until the 1930s and 1940s when its popularity declined precipitously. In 1940, Hester ranked as the 609th most popular name in the country. By 1950, it ranked 889th. In 1951, it had vanished from the list of the 1000 most popular names in the country.
- Hester is the name of the unseen and deceased character named as Martin Crane's wife on the long running television situation comedy "Frasier." Martin is Frasier and Niles Crane's father and is played by John Mahoney.
- Hester Prynne is the main character and protagonist in Nathaniel Hawthorne's important novel The Scarlet Letter. She was the unwed mother in Puritan America who refused to reveal the name of her lover and the father of her illegitimate child. It was also a 1995 movie.
- Hester, founded in 1899, is a town in the Southwest region of Western Australia.
- Hester Street is a 1976 film that portrays divorce, Jewish immigration and history in the 1900s.
- Devin Hester (b. 1982) is an American football player who plays the position of wide receiver for the Chicago Bears of the National Football League (NFL).
- Carolyn Hester is a folk singer and songwriter. She started her career in the 1960s and is still performing.
- "Hester Lynch Thrale (born Hester Lynch Salusbury and after her second marriage, Hester Lynch Piozzi" (1741 - 1821) was an important English author and patron of the arts. Her diaries are considered important in describing 18th Century English life and how they chronicled that of Samuel Johnson. 
Author: Mike Szimanski
|Meaning||star, evening star +|
|Meaningnc||star, evening star +|
|Origin||English +, Greek +, Arabic +, and Scandinavian +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Esther +, Hess +, Hessie +, Hessy +, Hestia +, Hettie +, and Hetty +|