|Meaning:||honorable, exalted nature|
|Related Names:||Adelheid, Heddi, Heida, Heide, Heidey, Heidy, Hydee|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Heidi is of German origin. It is a diminutive of the German name Adelheid, meaning "noble, kind, honorable," or "exalted nature." It is primarily used in English, perhaps due to the influence of Johanna Spyri's novel, Heidi.
Heidi is a fairly popular name in the United States. It first appeared on the top 1000 chart in 1939 (two years after the release of the Shirley Temple film Heidi), but it did not really begin to gain popularity until the late 1940s. Heidi's highest position was number 60 in 1974, and it has remained in at least the top 400 every year since. In 2006, Heidi ranked at number 295.
Heidi is also popular in other countries:
- 199th - as a girl's name in Norway (2006)
- 304th - as a girl's name in Canada (2005)
- 380th - as a girl's name in Sweden (2006)
- 474th - as a girl's name in Catalonia (2003)
- 679th - as a girl's name in Australia (2003)
- 1397th - as a girl's name in Belgium (2005)
- Heidi Klum, a German model, is known for her appearances on the Victoria's Secret catwalk and the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. Her legs are insured for two million dollars. She keeps a small bag full of the baby teeth she lost as a child as a good luck charm.
- Heidi Fleiss, infamous Hollywood Madame, was referred to in a Tori Amos song named "The Wrong Band." Heidi and Tori were close friends during the 1980s in Las Vegas, while Tori was considered a heavy metal singer.
- During the filming of the 1937 movie Heidi, Shirley Temple developed throat problems after she accidentally swallowed fake snow during a winter scene. The crew had to shoot around her for two days. Also, a scene involving Heidi teaching Peter to read was left out of the final cut.
Name Days, Feast Days and/or Saint Days:
- July 27th (Finland)
- September 5th (Sweden)
- October 15th (Estonia)
Songs about Heidi:
- "Heidi is a Headcase" (The Ramones)
Television Characters named Heidi:
Film Characters named Heidi:
- Heidi The Butterfly Effect
Novel Characters named Heidi:
- Heidi Heidi, by Johanna Spyri
- Heidi Klum: model
- Heidi Dupre: actress
- Heidi Hepler: Miss Michigan, 1981
- Heidi Lammi: Miss Virginia, 1988
- Heidi Lucas: actress
- Heidi Mueller: actress
- Heidi Noyes: Miss New Hampshire, 1999
- Heidi St. Pierre: Miss Rhode Island, 2000
- Heidi Williams: Miss North Carolina, 1993
- Heidi Wyss: writer
Celebrity babies named Heidi:
|Meaning||honorable, exalted nature +|
|Meaningnc||honorable, exalted nature +|
|Rank in 2000s||319 +|
|Related||Adelheid +, Heddi +, Heida +, Heide +, Heidey +, Heidy +, and Hydee +|