|Meaning:||"dark battle," "gray-haired"|
|Related Names:||Chriselda, Gricelda, Gricely, Grisel, Griseldis, Grisella, Griselle, Griselly, Grishelda, Grishilde, Grissel, Grizel, Grizelda, Grizll, Gryselde, Gryzelde, Selda, Zelda, Zelde|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Griselda is derived from the German name Grishilda, which is from the Old German gris (or grisja) “gray” and hild “battle,” though it may come from the Old German gries “gravel,” or “stone.” It has been variously translated as “dark battle,” “Christian battle,” and “gray battle maiden.” From Latin it means “gray-haired,” and from Teutonic “gray-haired heroine.”
According to the Social Security Administration, Griselda hit the list of top 1000 baby girl names for three decades:
- 1970s – 836
- 1980s – 741
- 1990s – 897
- In 1353, Italian author Giovanni Boccaccio published The Decameron, a collection of short tales, the last of which involved a character named Griselda. She was the very patient and long-suffering wife of an abusive husband, and from this story arose the old adage, “the patience of Griselda.”
- According to the science of numerology, people named Griselda tend to have a great joie de vivre, are very creative, and love the limelight. They’re affectionate, and self-expression is definitely a strong suit. Though they are responsible, they tend to lack self-discipline and can be rather reckless.
- The results of an analyzation of the name Griselda using the Kabalarian Philosophy are much the same as those of numerology. According to the Kabalarian Philosophy, the name creates the urge to be responsible, though it’s difficult to achieve due to a scattered and emotional nature. It creates self-confidence, happiness, and spontaneity, which others like. Natural and easy speakers, they sometimes have to stop themselves from talking too much. 
- Griselda Grey is a National Comics comic book character. 
- Madam Griselda Marchbanks is a character in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. (Rowling 707)
- Griselda Gambaro (b.1928): Prize-winning Argentinean playwright and author. 
- Actresses who are waiting for their big break include:
Griselda Smith, Griselda Johnson, Griselda Williams, Griselda Jones, Griselda Brown, Griselda Davis, Griselda Miller, Griselda Wilson, Griselda Moore, Griselda Taylor, Griselda Abundis, Griselda Ahumada, Griselda Alarcon, Griselda Akinyele, Griselda Alba, Griselda Abad, Griselda Abascal, Griselda Abbas, Griselda Abdelbary, Griselda Abete, Griselda Abonce, Griselda Abreu, Griselda Acevedo, Griselda Aceves, Griselda Acuna, Griselda Adame, Griselda Adsdsad, Griselda Aganon, Griselda Aguado, Griselda Aguao, Griselda Aguayo, Griselda Aguero, Griselda Aguilar, Griselda Aguilera, Griselda Aguillon, Griselda Aguirre, Griselda Agular, Griselda Ahern, Griselda Alanis, Griselda Alaniz, Griselda Alayon, Griselda Albano, Griselda Albarran, Griselda Bacca, Griselda Badillo, Griselda Baez, Griselda Baeza, Griselda Bahena, Griselda Bailey, Griselda Bailon, More results
Author: Madeleine Wieder
Campbell, Mike. "View Name: Griselda." Behind the Name. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.behindthename.com/name/griselda>.
Gruber, Brian & Rachel. "The meaning of Griselda." BirthVillage.com. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.birthvillage.com/meaning/Griselda>.
Harper, Douglas. Online Etymology Dictionary. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=griselda&searchmode=none>.
Hughes , Glyn . "The Squashed version of The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio 1350 ." Squashed Writers. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.btinternet.com/~glynhughes/squashed/thedecameron.htm>.
Matthews , Brander . "Notes to The Story of Griselda ." Bartleby.com. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.bartleby.com/195/1002.html>.
Rowling, J.K.. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. 1st. New York: Scholastic Press, 2003.
"Baby Name Griselda." Baby Names Magic. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamesmagic.com/g-girl/baby-girl-names-griselda.html>.
"Baby names info for GRISELDA." BabyNameFacts.com. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamefacts.com/babynames/summary.php?name=Griselda>.
"Baby names - the name Griselda." YeahBaby.com. YeahBaby.com. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.yeahbaby.com/baby-name.php?name=Griselda>.
"Griselda." BabyNamer. Oxygen Media. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamer.com/griselda>.
"Griselda Gambaro Biography." Bookrags. BookRags Inc.. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.bookrags.com/biography/griselda-gambaro>.
"Griselda - Name Meaning and Origin." Think Baby Names. Thinkbabynames.com. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search.php?s=griselda&g=0&t=1>.
"Meaning and origin of Griselda." Birthcare. Birthcare, LLC.. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/F/German/meaning.asp?name=Griselda>.
"Your First Name of: Griselda." Kabalarian Philosophy. Society of Kabalarians of Canada & Kabalarian Philosophy. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.kabalarians.com/index.cfm>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 8 Jun 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=nm&q=griselda&x=16&y=7>.
|Meaning||dark battle, gray-haired +|
|Meaningnc||"dark battle," "gray-haired" +|
|Pronunciation||gri-ZELL-dah, gra-ZELL-da +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Chriselda +, Gricelda +, Gricely +, Grisel +, Griseldis +, Grisella +, Griselle +, Griselly +, Grishelda +, Grishilde +, Grissel +, Grizel +, Grizelda +, Grizll +, Gryselde +, Gryzelde +, Selda +, Zelda +, and Zelde +|