|Pronunciation:||GILL-ee-an, JILL-ee-an, JIL-ee-un, JILL-lee-in, JILL-yun|
|Related Names:||Ghilian, Ghiliane, Ghillian, Gilian, Giliana, Gill, Gillan, Gilliane, Gillianna, Gillianne, Gillie, Gillyanne, Jillian, Jillianne, Jillyan, Julian, Jyllian|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Gillian originated as a variation of “Julian,” in the 16th century, from the Latin “Julianus,” which derives from the old Roman “Julius” and stems from the element “lulus” meaning “the first down on the chin,” “downy-bearded” or “youth.” The name is associated with being youthful, due to the age at which a person grows their first hairs. Initially, Gillian was equally common as a male and female name, although it has become a primarily female name since.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Gillian ranked as the 1,252nd most popular female first name and the 11,068th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names each of the last four decades.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name Gillian ranked in the Top 800 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (324th) through 2006 (758th), although it appears to be decreasing in popularity.
United States Popularity of the girl's name Gillian in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:758th
- Year: 2005 Rank:653rd
- Year: 2004 Rank:554th
- Year: 2003 Rank:465th
- Year: 2002 Rank:388th
- Year: 2001 Rank:347th
- Year: 2000 Rank:324th
According to the 1990 United States Census, Jillian ranked as the 586th most popular female first name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names each of the last three decades.
According to the Social Security Administration, in the 21st century, the name Jillian ranked in the Top 200 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (120th) through 2006 (174th).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Jillian in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:174th
- Year: 2005 Rank:161st
- Year: 2004 Rank:152nd
- Year: 2003 Rank:135th
- Year: 2002 Rank:124th
- Year: 2001 Rank:120th
- Year: 2000 Rank:120th
- “Gillian” is a name given to babies of celebrities Patty Hearst and Vanessa Williams.
- “Jillian” is a name bestowed upon children of celebrities Bryant Gumbel and Ramon Hervey.
- “Jillian Hall” is the wrestling ring name of American professional wrestler Jillian Fletcher.
- "Gillian," played by Winona Ryder, is one of the main characters in the 2007 movie "Sex and Death 101."
- Gillian Leigh Anderson – Television and film actress who is most widely recognized for portraying Dana Scully on the science fiction television show “The X Files” for which she won a primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series” in 1997. She was also nominated for four other Emmy Awards for acting, three of which were for “The X Files.”
- Jillian Reynolds (formerly Jillian Barberie and born Jillian Warry) – Canadian actress and television personality.
- Ann Jillian (born Ann Jura Nauseda) – Film and television actress who was nominated for three Emmy Awards and won a Golden Globe Award for “Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV” for her work in “The Ann Jillian Story” in 1988.
- Gillian Patricia Shephard – British politician who is the Parliamentary President of the Conservative Friends of Israel (CFI).
Gillian Smith, Gillian Johnson, Gillian Williams, Gillian Jones, Gillian Brown, Gillian Davis, Gillian Miller, Gillian Wilson, Gillian Moore, Gillian Taylor, Gillian Aaron, Gillian Abbee, Gillian Abbiss, Gillian Abbott, Gillian Abendroth, Gillian Abineri, Gillian Abraham, Gillian Abrahams, Gillian Abrams, Gillian Abramson, Gillian Abu, Gillian Acheson, Gillian Ackerman, Gillian Ackland, Gillian Acosta, Gillian Acton, Gillian Adam, Gillian Adams, Gillian Adcock, Gillian Addison, Gillian Adkinson, Gillian Adler, Gillian Adriana, Gillian Adsett, Gillian Adshead, Gillian Aenishaenslin, Gillian Aeppli, Gillian Affolter, Gillian Agard, Gillian Agostini, Gillian Aguilar, Gillian Agyemfra, Gillian Ahern, Gillian Ahlgren, Gillian Ahney, Gillian Aikin, Gillian Ainsworth, Gillian Air, Gillian Aitchison, Gillian Aked, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||youth, youthful +|
|Meaningnc||youth, youthful +|
|Pronunciation||GILL-ee-an, JILL-ee-an, JIL-ee-un, JILL-lee-in, JILL-yun +|
|Rank in 2000s||473 +|
|Related||Ghilian +, Ghiliane +, Ghillian +, Gilian +, Giliana +, Gill +, Gillan +, Gilliane +, Gillianna +, Gillianne +, Gillie +, Gillyanne +, Jillian +, Jillianne +, Jillyan +, Julian +, and Jyllian +|