|Related Names:||Alfreda, Freada, Freda, Fredella, Frederica, Freeda, Freeman, Freida, Freya, Frieda, Frydda, Winifred|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Frida originated as a familiar form of Frederica. Frederica is the feminine version of Frederick, a German name meaning "peaceful ruler." It may also have derived from Winifred, an Old English name meaning "joy and peace," or from other "fred" names such as Alfreda. It also comes from a Nordic word, frior, which means "peace."
The name Frida has recently gained popularity in the United States. It first appeared on the top 1000 chart in 2001, and rose as high as number 650 in 2003. In 2007, Frida ranked as the 830th most popular girl's name.
The spelling Freda has had a longer history. Freda was prominent on the charts from the late 19th century until the 1970s. It ranked as high as 161 in 1897, but has not appeared on the chart since 1975.
Frida is also popular in other countries, such as Sweden, Denmark and Norway. In 1998, Frida was the 11th most popular girl's name in Sweden, and in 2003 it ranked 12th in Norway and 34th in Denmark. Frida is also a popular name in Spain, particularly with the "i" spelling.
- The name Frida is honored by several name days:
- February 18th in Sweden
- May 6th in Hungary and Slovakia
- June 8th in Latvia
- Frida: 2002 film about the life of Frida Kahlo, starring Salma Hayek as the artist and Alfred Molina as Diego Rivera.
- F.R.I.D.A.: Feminist Response in Disability Activism
- Frida Spanish School
- Bad Dog Frida: pet supplies
- Cafe Frida, New York
- Frida Revolutionary Fashions
- Crocheted by Frida: baby bedding
- Frida Travel: Costa Rica Travel Agency
- Frida Kahlo is the most famous bearer of this name. She was a Mexican artist, born July 6, 1907, and her paintings, especially her odd self-portraits, have gained international recognition. Her full name was Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo y Calderón.
- Frida Lyngstad (born November 15, 1945) is best known as a member of the Swedish pop band ABBA. In 1992, she married Prince Heinrich Ruzzo Reuss, Count of Plauen and gained the title "Princess."
- Frida Utter: Swedish model
- Frida Baranek: Brazilian sculpture artist (born 1961)
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Rank in 2000s||798 +|
|Related||Alfreda +, Freada +, Freda +, Fredella +, Frederica +, Freeda +, Freeman +, Freida +, Freya +, Frieda +, Frydda +, and Winifred +|