|Meaning:||a gift of the island|
|Related Names:||Eton, Ethen, Eitan, Etan, Ethen|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Ethan is a masculine biblical name that symbolizes "A gift of the island." Derived from the Hebrew words for "permanence" and "strength," Ethan is also translated to mean optimistic, solid, firm, steadfast, righteous, constancy and enduring.
The name Ethan is mentioned 8 times in the Hebrew Bible. Ethan the Ezrahite was a wise man with whom Solomon is compared in the First book of Kings. He was one of the four sons of Mahol and is credited with the authorship of Psalm 89. He was placed by King David over the service of song, appointed to sound with cymbals.
According to classical Jewish teachings in the Midrash, the name Eitan HaEzrachi (Ethan the Ezrahite) refers to the Hebrew patriarch Abraham:
Abraham, faith, self-nullification and love were etched indelibly on all subsequent Jewish souls and for them they longed for their great leader who god would name Ethan
Ethan is also mentioned in the bible as:
The name Ethan has remained consistent throughout the decades, gaining popularity in the 1960s and continuing its rise into the 21st century; Ethan was ranked number 4 in the 2006 U.S. census and 19th in the UK.
A person who bears the name Ethan is said to have a natural interest in the welfare of others as well as a desire to help and serve others in a humanitarian way. They are responsible and generous, although disorganized at times. Good-natured and likable, an Ethan can always be counted on to see the bright side of any problem.
- Ethan, South Dakota, a town.
- Fort Ethan Allen (Arlington, Virginia), a fort in Virginia.
- Ethan Allen Express, a passenger train operated by Amtrak between New York City and Rutland, Vermont.
- Ethan Rayne, a character from the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Ethan Rom, a character from the TV series Lost.
- Ethan Allen (furniture company), a furniture chain with more than 300 stores across the United States.
- Ethan Hunt, a character in the Mission: Impossible films played by Tom Cruise.
- Ethan James, a character from the TV show Power Rangers: Dino Thunder.
- Ethan Coen, born September 21, 1957, is a film director and screenwriter, who often works with his brother Joel Coen.
- Ethan Embry, born Ethan Philan Randall on June 13, 1978, is an American actor best known for his role in the movie, Can't Hardly Wait.
- Ethan Hawke, born November 6, 1970 is a two-time Oscar-nominated Hollywood actor.
- Ethan Phillips, a playwright, author, and actor on Star Trek: Voyager. Born on February 8, 1955 in Garden City, Long Island.
- Ethan Suplee, an American actor on My Name Is Earl and Clerks II, born May 25, 1976.
- Ethan Allen, (1738-1789), an early American revolutionary and general, a leader during the era of the Vermont Republic and the New Hampshire Grants.
- Ethan Albright, born Lawrence Ethan Albright on May 1, 1971 in Greensboro, North Carolinian American football player nicknamed the Red Snapper.
- Ethan Moreau, a Canadian hockey player born 22 September 1975 in Huntsville, Ontario.
Ethan Smith, Ethan Johnson, Ethan Williams, Ethan Jones, Ethan Brown, Ethan Davis, Ethan Miller, Ethan Wilson, Ethan Moore, Ethan Taylor, Ethan Aaron, Ethan Abar, Ethan Abatiell, Ethan Abbas, Ethan Abbott, Ethan Abel, Ethan Abeles, Ethan Abelov, Ethan Abend, Ethan Abendroth, Ethan Abercrombie, Ethan Aberegg, Ethan Aberg, Ethan Abernathy, Ethan Ables, Ethan Abn, Ethan Abraham, Ethan Abramowitz, Ethan Abramson, Ethan Abruzzo, Ethan Ace, Ethan Achord, Ethan Acker, Ethan Ackerland, Ethan Ackerlund, Ethan Acklin, Ethan Acosta, Ethan Acquistapace, Ethan Acres, Ethan Adair, Ethan Adam, Ethan Adams, Ethan Adderley, Ethan Addis, Ethan Addison, Ethan Adelman, Ethan Adels, Ethan Adelsman, Ethan Adgate, Ethan Adkins, More results
Author: Miss T. Fide
|Meaning||a gift of the island +|
|Meaningnc||a gift of the island +|
|Rank in 2000s||9 +|
|Related||Eton +, Ethen +, Eitan +, and Etan +|