|Meaning:||my God is Jehovah|
|Related Names:||Eli, Elliot, Ilia, Ilija, Iliya, Alijah, Alija, Alejo, Eliga, Eligah, Eli, Elia, Elias, Eliasz, Iiles, Iilya, Ilyas, Yeghia, Lijah, Elie, Elihu, Elija, Eliyahu, Eljah, Eliot, Ellis, Ely, Eliyahu, Elyot, Elyott, -ijah|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Old Testament legend has it that Elijah was "one of the greatest and mightiest of the fiery angel host." It is also said that Elijah fought the Angel of Death. There is a similar accounting in the Talmud in which Elijah was said to be the "psychopomp whose duty is to stand at the crossways of Paradise and guide the pious to their appointed places." Elijah is referred to as the Angel of the Covenant. In Jewish Passover festivals, the cup of Elijah is filled with wine and a seat is left empty for him - "the expected guest." Elijah is depicted as a composite devil and angel in Blake's "Marriage of Heaven and Hell," whom Blake refers to as his friend.
According the 1990 United States Census, Elijah is the 491st most popular boy's first name and the 73,243rd most popular last name. The popularity of the name Elijah has been on the rise since 1970 when it dipped to a 20th century low.
- The name Elijah was ranked the 29th most popular baby name in 2006.
- Elijah was a Hebrew patriarch transported in a fiery chariot to Heaven, dubbed by many as a Saint.
- "The Eli's Cheesecake Company," named after Eli Schulman, specializes in cheesecakes.
- "Eli" was a fictional character in the television show "Xena: The Warrior Princess."
- "The Billy Eli Band" is a rockabilly, southern, classic rock music group.
- "Elijah" was an oratorio composed by Felix Mendelssohn.
- "Elijah Rock" is a song about Elijah in the traditional Christian spiritual form.
- "Eli's Coming" is a song by "Three Dog Night."
- Elijah Muhammad - Leader of Black Muslims during the early to mid 20th century. He was born Elijah (or Robert) Poole on October 7, 1897.
- Eli Manning - NFL quarterback with the New York Giants who was the MVP and won the Superbowl against the New England Patriots on February 4th, 2008.
- Elijah Jordan Wood - An actor who played Froddo Baggins in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. He has been nominated for 27 awards.
- Elia Kazan - Film director who won two Academy Awards (Oscars) and many other awards for his achievements as an artisan.
- Patrik Elias - A hockey player (left wing) with the New Jersey Devils.
Elijah Smith, Elijah Johnson, Elijah Williams, Elijah Jones, Elijah Brown, Elijah Davis, Elijah Miller, Elijah Wilson, Elijah Moore, Elijah Taylor, Elijah Aaison, Elijah Abdurashid, Elijah Abel, Elijah Abiara, Elijah Abinah, Elijah Abraham, Elijah Abram, Elijah Abrams, Elijah Acoff, Elijah Adair, Elijah Adamson, Elijah Adasmon, Elijah Ade, Elijah Aden, Elijah Adeoye, Elijah Adeyanju, Elijah Adkins, Elijah Adler, Elijah Adombire, Elijah Afolabi, Elijah Agnew, Elijah Agule, Elijah Ahsing, Elijah Ajayi, Elijah Abad, Elijah Abner, Elijah Addei, Elijah Addison, Elijah Akampa, Elijah Aaron, Elijah Abron, Elijah Akana, Elijah Akhahenda, Elijah Akiens, Elijah Akin, Elijah Akinde, Elijah Akper, Elijah Akum, Elijah Baaith, Elijah Baatz, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||my God is Jehovah +|
|Meaningnc||my god is jehovah +|
|Rank in 2000s||37 +|
|Related||Eli +, Elliot +, Ilia +, Ilija +, Iliya +, Alijah +, Alija +, Alejo +, Eliga +, Eligah +, Elia +, Elias +, Eliasz +, Iiles +, Iilya +, Ilyas +, Yeghia +, Lijah +, Elie +, Elihu +, Elija +, Eliyahu +, Eljah +, Eliot +, Ellis +, Ely +, Elyot +, Elyott +, and -ijah +|