|Meaning:||Dweller by the dark stream, from the dark river|
|Related Names:||Doug, Dougaid, Dougal, Dougie, Douglass|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Douglas derives from the Gaelic Dubhglas, which means "dark river" or "blood river." It is a combination of "dubh" meaning "black" or "dark" and "glas" meaning "blue," "green," "gray" or "water." The Celtic name, Dubhglas, was a common river name. It is believed the name orginated as the surname of people who lived near the river.
The surname Douglas has a long lineage among powerful Scottish Earls. In English, Douglas was used as a girl's name during the 17th and 18th centuries, although it is now considered masculine.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Douglas ranked as the 45th most popular male first name and the 257th most popular last name. The name has ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular names in the United States every decade since 1880.
United States Popularity of the name Douglas in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2006 Rank:365th
- Year: 2005 Rank:360th
- Year: 2004 Rank:353rd
- Year: 2003 Rank:309th
- Year: 2002 Rank:306th
- Year: 2001 Rank:283rd
- Year: 2000 Rank:274th
In the 21st century, the name Douglas has maintained a ranking in the Top 150 names each year from 2000 through 2006. However, the popularity of the name seems to be on the decline, dropping to a ranking of 133rd most popular name in 2006.
Sweden Popularity of the Name Douglas in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2006 Rank:133rd
- Year: 2005 Rank:123rd
- Year: 2004 Rank:128th
- Year: 2003 Rank:129th
- Year: 2002 Rank:114th
- Year: 2001 Rank:100th
- Year: 2000 Rank:93rd
Canada (British Columbia) Popularity of the Name Douglas in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2005 Rank:360th
- Year: 2004 Rank:233rd
- Year: 2003 Rank:331st
- Year: 2002 Rank:212th
- Year: 2001 Rank:262nd
- Year: 2000 Rank:233rd
Belgium Popularity of the Name Douglas in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2005 Rank:1,288th
- Year: 2004 Rank:685th
- Year: 2003 Rank:1,658th
- Year: 2002 Rank:1,287th
- April 13th is celebrated in Sweden to honor the name Douglas.
- "Douglas Furniture" is a furniture company with ties dating back to 1900.
- Frederick Douglas - American abolitionist, statesman and reformer.
- Douglas Macarthur - Famous American General.
- Michael Douglas - Actor who won two Academy Awards (Oscars) for "Best Actor in a Leading Role" for the 1987 movie "Wall Street" and for shared Best Picture work in]] the 1975 movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
- Kirk Douglas - Actor who was nominated for three Academy Awards (Oscars) for "Best Actor" and received an Honorary Oscar "For 50 years as a creative and moral force in the motion picture community."
- Douglas D. Osheroff - Nobel Prize Winner for Physics in 1996.
- William Orville Douglas - U.S. Supreme Court Justice (1939 - 1975).
- Lindsay Douglas - Miss Kansas in 2002.
- Edgar Douglas Adrian - Nobel Prize Winner for Medicine in 1932.
Douglas Smith, Douglas Johnson, Douglas Williams, Douglas Jones, Douglas Brown, Douglas Davis, Douglas Miller, Douglas Wilson, Douglas Moore, Douglas Taylor, Douglas Aab, Douglas Aabel, Douglas Aaberg, Douglas Aadalen, Douglas Aadland, Douglas Aadson, Douglas Aagaard, Douglas Aagard, Douglas Aagesen, Douglas Aakhus, Douglas Aalderink, Douglas Aalvik, Douglas Aamodt, Douglas Aamot, Douglas Aamoth, Douglas Aanenson, Douglas Aanerud, Douglas Aanestad, Douglas Aanonsen, Douglas Aardal, Douglas Aardema, Douglas Aardsma, Douglas Aarestad, Douglas Aarne, Douglas Aarness, Douglas Aarniokoski, Douglas Aaron, Douglas Aarons, Douglas Aaronson, Douglas Aasby, Douglas Aase, Douglas Aaseby, Douglas Aasen, Douglas Aaser, Douglas Aaserude, Douglas Aasgaard, Douglas Aasland, Douglas Aavang, Douglas Abad, Douglas Abadie, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||Dweller by the dark stream, from the dark river +|
|Meaningnc||dweller by the dark stream, from the dark river +|
|Pronunciation||DUG-liss, DUG-lus +|
|Rank in 2000s||323 +|
|Related||Doug +, Dougaid +, Dougal +, Dougie +, and Douglass +|