|Pronunciation:||DAH-na-vun, DON-ah-ven, DON-a-vin|
|Meaning:||dark brown, dark-haired|
|Related Names:||Donavan, Donavon, Donevin, Donevon, Donoven, Donovon|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Donovan derives from the Irish surname “O'Donnabhain” meaning “descendant of Donndubhan.” The name “Donndubhan” is a combination of the Gaelic “donn” meaning “brown” and “dubh” meaning “black” or “dark.” Therefore, the name means “dark brown” or “dark-haired.”
According to the 1990 United States Census, Donovan ranked as the 667th most popular male first name and the 897th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names eleven decades since 1880, including each of the last eleven. In the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 300 most popular boys' names every year from 2000 (206th) through 2006 (198th).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Donovan in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:198th
- Year: 2005 Rank:185th
- Year: 2004 Rank:187th
- Year: 2003 Rank:176th
- Year: 2002 Rank:191st
- Year: 2001 Rank:211th
- Year: 2000 Rank:206th
- “Donovan” is the name of a town in northeastern Illinios, USA.
- “Donovan Baine” is a hunter in the “Vampire/Darkstalkers” video game series by Capcom, whose weapons and techniques are rooted in Buddhism and Hinduism.
- “H.M.S. Donovan” is the name of a 1971 album by Scottish singer-songwriter “Donovan” (Donovan Phillips Leitch). He also released an album in 1970 titled “Donovan P. Leitch.”
- “Donovan” is the name of a song by the English alternative rock music group “Happy Mondays.”
- Donovan Jamal McNabb – National Football League (NFL) quarterback who has been selected to five Pro Bowls and was named the “NFC Offensive Player of the Year” in 2004. He led the Philadelphia Eagles to Super Bowl XXXIX in 2005, although they lost to the Patriots by a field goal.
- Landon Timothy Donovan – Professional soccer player (attacking midfielder, winger or striker) who is the all-time leading scorer of the United States national soccer team.
- Anne Donovan – A member of the women’s Basketball Hall of Fame who won gold medals at the 1984 and 1988 Olympics with the United States Olympic basketball team.
- Arthur Donovan Jr. – Former professional football player (defensive tackle) who was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1968. He also went to five Pro Bowls in the 1950’s.
- Raymond James Donovan – Former U.S. Secretary of Labor.
Donovan Smith, Donovan Johnson, Donovan Williams, Donovan Jones, Donovan Brown, Donovan Davis, Donovan Wilson, Donovan Moore, Donovan Taylor, Donovan Abshire, Donovan Adkisson, Donovan Adolph, Donovan Ahlquist, Donovan Akau, Donovan Aaron, Donovan Achterberg, Donovan Acock, Donovan Aasen, Donovan Abbey, Donovan Abbott, Donovan Abeyta, Donovan Abraham, Donovan Abram, Donovan Abrams, Donovan Abron, Donovan Ackley, Donovan Adadevoh, Donovan Adams, Donovan Adamson, Donovan Adendorf, Donovan Adkins, Donovan Adlam, Donovan Adrian, Donovan Adson, Donovan Affeldt, Donovan Agans, Donovan Agostino, Donovan Aguilar, Donovan Ahlden, Donovan Ahrens, Donovan Ahyou, Donovan Ainsworth, Donovan Aiona, Donovan Aitcheson, Donovan Akerberg, Donovan Akers, Donovan Aki, Donovan Adfield, Donovan Abel, Donovan Academia, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||dark brown, dark-haired +|
|Meaningnc||dark brown, dark-haired +|
|Pronunciation||DAH-na-vun, DON-ah-ven, DON-a-vin +|
|Rank in 2000s||194 +|
|Related||Donavan +, Donavon +, Donevin +, Donevon +, Donoven +, and Donovon +|