|Pronunciation:||DON-nah, DAHN-a, DON-na, DAH-nah|
|Meaning:||world ruler, lady, woman|
|Related Names:||Dahna, Dahnya, Dona, Donalie, Donella, Donelle, Donetta, Donia, Donica, Donielle, Donisha, Donita, Donnalee, Donnalyn, Donna-Marie, Donnell, Donnella, Donnelle, Donni, Donnica, Donnie, Donnisse, Donny, Donya, Ladonna, Madonna|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Donna has three possible origins. It is the modern feminine form of “Donald” meaning “world ruler,” which has Gaelic origins. In Italy, “Donna” means “lady” and is used, courteously, before the name of a woman. Additionally, the name Donna is attributed to being a shortened form originating from “Madonna” meaning “my lady,” also of Italian origin.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Donna ranked as the 17th most popular female first name and the 38,173rd most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names every decade since 1880 and in the Top 1,000 most popular boys' names in the 1940s and 1960s. In the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 900 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (669th) through 2006 (832nd), but appears to be on the decline.
United States Popularity of the girl's name Donna in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:832nd
- Year: 2005 Rank:830th
- Year: 2004 Rank:781st
- Year: 2003 Rank:773rd
- Year: 2002 Rank:678th
- Year: 2001 Rank:705th
- Year: 2000 Rank:669th
- “Donna” is the name of a city in the very south of Texas, USA.
- “Donna” was a category five hurricane in the 1960 Atlantic hurricane season.
- “Donna” is a song by rocker Richie Valens (Ricardo Steven Valenzuela).
- “Donna and Blitzen” is a song by indie rock singer and songwriter Badly Drawn Boy (Damon Gough).
- “Oh, Donna” is the name of a song by the English pop band “10cc.”
- “Donna Pinciotti,” played by Laura Prepon, is a character on television’s That '70s Show.
- “Donnatella 'Donna' Moss,” played by Janel Moloney, is a character on the television drama The West Wing.
- “Donna Martin-Silver,” played by Tori Spelling, is a character on the television show Beverly Hills, 90210.
- Donna Karan (born Donna Ivy Faske) – Fashion designer who created “Donna Karan New York” (DKNY).
- Donna Caponi-Byrnes – American Hall of Fame professional golfer.
- Donna Summer (born LaDonna Adrian Gaines) – American singer and songwriter who was dubbed "Queen Of Disco" in the 1970s.
- Donna Brazile – Political activist who was the first African-American to lead a major presidential campaign.
- Donna Lewis – Welsh pop singer and songwriter.
Donna Smith, Donna Johnson, Donna Williams, Donna Jones, Donna Brown, Donna Davis, Donna Miller, Donna Wilson, Donna Moore, Donna Taylor, Donna Aab, Donna Aaberg, Donna Aaby, Donna Aadland, Donna Aagard, Donna Aaker, Donna Aalfs, Donna Aamoth, Donna Aanenson, Donna Aardema, Donna Aarhus, Donna Aarnes, Donna Aaron, Donna Aarstol, Donna Aasen, Donna Aaskov, Donna Aasness, Donna Abing, Donna Aguda, Donna Aguinaldo, Donna Allosada, Donna Alwaked, Donna Arnold, Donna B-alexander, Donna Gail, Donna Kadir, Donna Rae, Donna A-m, Donna Aagaard, Donna Aagesen, Donna Aas, Donna Aaseng, Donna Aasheim, Donna Abramowicz, Donna Aguayo, Donna Assaf, Donna Assel, Donna Ayscough, Donna Barnetta, Donna Mae, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||world ruler, lady, woman +|
|Meaningnc||world ruler, lady, woman +|
|Pronunciation||DON-nah, DAHN-a, DON-na, DAH-nah +|
|Rank in 2000s||793 +|
|Related||Dahna +, Dahnya +, Dona +, Donalie +, Donella +, Donelle +, Donetta +, Donia +, Donica +, Donielle +, Donisha +, Donita +, Donnalee +, Donnalyn +, Donna-Marie +, Donnell +, Donnella +, Donnelle +, Donni +, Donnica +, Donnie +, Donnisse +, Donny +, Donya +, Ladonna +, and Madonna +|