|Meaning:||world leader, world ruler|
|Related Names:||Domhnall, Domnall, Don, Donal, Donn, Donnell, Donnie, Donnny, Donny, Dumhnuil, Dunmore, Dónall, McDonald|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Donald derives from the Gaelic “Domhnall” meaning “world ruler.” It is believed to stem from the Celtic “Dubno-walos” meaning “mighty in the deep” or from “Dumno-valos” meaning “world mighty.” It is a combination of “dubno” meaning “world” and “walos” meaning “mighty” or “ruler.” Additionally, some believe it stems from the Gaelic “don” meaning “brown.”
The name Donald is a Scottish clan name. It also belonged to five different Kings of Scotland, including King Domnall Brecc the Freckled (629-642), King Domnall Donn (688-695), King Domnall I (859-863), King Domnall II Dasachtach (889-900) and King Domnall III Bane (1093-1097).
According to the 1990 United States Census, Donald ranked as the 15th most popular male first name, the 2,654th most popular female first name and the 2,477th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names every decade since 1880 and in the Top 1,000 most popular girl's names two decades during the 1920’s and 1930’s. In the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 400 most popular boy's names every year from 2000 (218th) through 2006 (303rd).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Donald in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:303rd
- Year: 2005 Rank:289th
- Year: 2004 Rank:264th
- Year: 2003 Rank:257th
- Year: 2002 Rank:255th
- Year: 2001 Rank:236th
- Year: 2000 Rank:218th
- July 7th is celebrated in Slovakia in honor of the name Donald.
- July 15th is celebrated by the Catholic Church in honor of St. Donald.
- July 15th is celebrated in France in honor of the name Donald.
- “Donald Duck” is an animated cartoon character created by Walt Disney.
- “Donnie” is a song by the dance pop band “Ace of Base.”
- The “Donalds” are hills in Scotland, of which there are eighty nine.
- "Donnie Darko" is the name of a cult science fiction movie.
- Donald Rumsfeld – Former United States Secretary of Defense.
- Donald Tsang - Chief Executive of Hong Kong.
- Donald Sutherland – Film and television actor.
- Don Cheadle – Television and film actor who was nominated for an Academy Award (Oscar) for “Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role” for his work in the 2004 movie “Hotel Rwanda.”
- Donald Crisp – Television and film actor who won an Academy Award (Oscar) for “Best Actor in a Supporting Role” for his work in the 1941 movie “How Green Was My Valley.”
- Donald Trump – American businessman who has become famous from his reality television show “The Apprentice.”
- Don McLean – Folk rock singer and songwriter who became famous in 1971 with the song American Pie.
- Donald J. Cram - Won the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1987.
- Donal Logue – Movie and television actor.
- Donald A. Glaser - Won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1960.
Donald Smith, Donald Johnson, Donald Williams, Donald Jones, Donald Brown, Donald Davis, Donald Miller, Donald Wilson, Donald Moore, Donald Taylor, Donald Aadland, Donald Aagard, Donald Aagenes, Donald Aaholm, Donald Aaker, Donald Aakre, Donald Aalderink, Donald Aalders, Donald Aamodt, Donald Aanderson, Donald Aanderud, Donald Aanenson, Donald Aanestad, Donald Aanonsen, Donald Aanonson, Donald Aanrud, Donald Aardappel, Donald Aardema, Donald Aarnes, Donald Aaro, Donald Aaroe, Donald Aaron, Donald Aarsvold, Donald Aarthun, Donald Aarvig, Donald Aasa, Donald Aasby, Donald Aasen, Donald Aaser, Donald Aasland, Donald Abadie, Donald Aboff, Donald Albretsen, Donald Aaberg, Donald Aadahl, Donald Aalbers, Donald Aalderks, Donald Aalid, Donald Aamold, Donald Aandal, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||world leader, world ruler +|
|Meaningnc||world leader, world ruler +|
|Origin||Irish +, Scottish +, and Gaelic +|
|Rank in 2000s||261 +|
|Related||Domhnall +, Domnall +, Don +, Donal +, Donn +, Donnell +, Donnie +, Donnny +, Donny +, Dumhnuil +, Dunmore +, Dónall +, and McDonald +|