|Meaning:||divine, godly woman|
|Related Names:||Deanna, Deandra, Di, Diana, Diandra, Diann, Dianna, Diannah, Dianne, Didi, Dion, Dyan, Dyana, Dyane, Dyann, Dyanna, Dyanne, -ane|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
A variant of Dianne.
The name Diane is originally of Latin origin, meaning divine. The name Diane came to be associated with the Greek god Artemis and the name became associated with someone of great beauty. From this mythological history, the name came into common usage as a female given name.
The name Diane no longer makes the list of the 1000 most popular female given names. The name last made the list in 2004, when it was situated at number 904. In ten years, it fell from 545th most popular female given name all the way off the chart in 1995. The name was most popular in the US in the decade of the 50s; at that point, the name Diane was the 17th most popular female given name. 
A few other countries see the name Diane in more frequent use than the US. In Canada, the name is the 438th most popular female given name (1998), in Australia, the name is 683rd most common (2003), and in Belgium, the name is ranked 726th (2004). 
- June 9th is an official name day for the name Diane in France.
- 'Diane' is a song by Guster
- 'Diane' is a song by The Bachelors
- 'Jack & Diane' is a song by John Mellencamp
- 'Oh Diane' is a song by Fleetwood Mac
- 'My Diane' is a song by The Beach Boys
- 'Little Diane' is a song by Dion
- 'Diane' was a film made in 1956
- Diane 35 is an oral contraceptive pill
- Hurricane Diane was an Atlantic Hurricane in 1955
- Diane Chambers was a character on the television series 'Cheers'
- Diane Sawyer is an American television presenter
- Diane de Poitiers was a noblewoman and a permanent fixtures at the court in France during the reigns of Francis I and Henri II
- Diane de France was an illegitimate child of Henri II and a political figure after her birth was legitimized ten years after her birth
- Diane Neal is an American actress who plays Casey Novak on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
- Diane Keaton is a landmark American actress known for roles in 'Annie Hall' right up to 'Father of the Bride'; with forty years of acting under the table, she's still at it.
Diane Smith, Diane Johnson, Diane Williams, Diane Jones, Diane Brown, Diane Davis, Diane Miller, Diane Wilson, Diane Moore, Diane Taylor, Diane Aaberg, Diane Aaby, Diane Aadalen, Diane Aagesen, Diane Aamoth, Diane Aanenson, Diane Aardema, Diane Aarhus, Diane Aaronson, Diane Aarseth, Diane Abad, Diane Abair, Diane Abasta, Diane Abatemarco, Diane Abati, Diane Abato, Diane Abazarnia, Diane Abbanato, Diane Abbarno, Diane Accardo, Diane Acetmore, Diane Akamine, Diane Altukhaim, Diane Altunis, Diane Aadland, Diane Aafedt, Diane Aafedt-wilson, Diane Aamodt, Diane Aamot, Diane Aarni, Diane Aaroen, Diane Aarons, Diane Aartun, Diane Aballa, Diane Abalos, Diane Abarca, Diane Abarta, Diane Abate, Diane Abbadusky, Diane Addington, More results
|Meaning||divine, godly woman +|
|Meaningnc||divine, godly woman +|
|Rank in 2000s||953 +|
|Related||Deanna +, Deandra +, Di +, Diana +, Diandra +, Diann +, Dianna +, Diannah +, Dianne +, Didi +, Dion +, Dyan +, Dyana +, Dyane +, Dyann +, Dyanna +, Dyanne +, and -ane +|