Designer Dog Breed Names
WHAT IS A DESIGNER DOG?
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. Get your beloved pet started with his or her own web site today! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
Designer Dogs, also known by the name Hybrid Dogs, are the offspring of two purebred dogs of different breeds, often specially bred and marketed under a funny name. Designer Dog names are usually portmanteaus, that is, a blend of the two original dog names. Poodles are a popular dog to use in Designer Dog mixes, partially because they are hypoallergenic and oftentimes create mixes that don't shed or aggravate allergies. But maybe it's also the allure of the name Poodle that prompts the mixtures? After all, it's pretty fun to say Cavapoo and Schnoodle and Weimardoodle.
Hybrid Dog breeds aren't recognized by the American Kennel Club, but there is the American Canine Hybrid Club which registers the Hybrid breed names and keeps an ever-growing list. According to their standards, the Hybrid Dog breed must be bred from two recognized purebred dogs, and the first breeder to breed it and register it with the ACHC is the one who decides the breed's name. Not that a registered name is going to stop people from coming up with alternate funny names for the new breeds. Designer Dogs are still new, and only a few such as the Labradoodle and Puggle have gone mainstream enough to have their names become common knowledge. Below is a list of interesting Designer Dog names, and the mixes that created them.
DESIGNER DOG BREED NAMES
- American Eagle Dog: American Eskimo and Beagle
- Bagel Hound: Basset Hound and Beagle
- Brat: Boston Terrier and Rat Terrier
- Bugg: Boston Terrier and Pug
- Chiweenie: Chihuahua and Dachshund, sometimes called a Chorizo Dog
- Chorkie: Chihuahua and Yorkie
- Cockapoo: Cocker Spaniel and Poodle
- Cojack: Corgi and Jack Russell
- Corkie: Cairn Terrier and Yorkie, or, Cocker Spaniel and Yorkie
- Daug: Dachshund and Pug
- Dorkie: Dachshund and Yorkie
- Free-Lance Bulldog: Bulldog and French Bulldog
- Imo-Inu: American Eskimo and Shiba Inu
- Jack-a-bee: Beagle and Jack Russell
- Jack Chi: Jack Russell and Chihuahua
- Labradoodle: Labrador Retriever and Poodle
- Malkie: Maltese and Yorkie, also known by the names Morkie and Yorktese
- Peek-a-Pom: Pekingese and Pomeranian
- Puggle: Pug and Beagle
- Pomapoo: Pomeranian and Poodle
- Peke-a-Tese: Pekingese and Maltese
- Peke-a-Poo: Pekingese and Poodle
- Pookimo: American Eskimo and Poodle, also known by the name Eskipoo
- Rat-a-pap: Rat Terrier and Papillon
- Taco Terrier: Chihuahua and Toy Fox Terrier
Author: Sarena Ulibarri