|Pronunciation:||DARE-ik, DEH-rek, DER-ek, DARE-eck|
|Meaning:||leader of the people, ruler of the people, gifted ruler|
|Related Names:||Darek, Darren, Darrick, Darriq, Dereck, Deric, Derick, Derik, Deriq, Derk, Derreck, Derrek, Derrick, Derrik, Derryck, Derryk, Deryck, Deryk, Deryke, Dick, Dirk, Dirke, Dyrk, Jerrick, Rick, Tarek|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Derek derives from the German “Thiudoreiks” meaning “leader of the people,” which was a combination of “thiuda” meaning “folk” or “people” and “reiks” meaning “ruler,” “leader”or “king.” The German “Thiudoreiks” later became the Latin “Theodoricus” and the shortened version “Theodoric.” Theodoric the Great was King of the Ostrogoths in the 6th-century.
In the Middle Ages, the name was taken to England by Flemish cloth traders.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Derek ranked as the 163rd most popular male first name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names seven decades since 1880, including every decade since 1940.
United States Popularity of the boy's name Derek in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2006 Rank:159th
- Year: 2005 Rank:173rd
- Year: 2004 Rank:155th
- Year: 2003 Rank:143rd
- Year: 2002 Rank:134th
- Year: 2001 Rank:128th
- Year: 2000 Rank:114th
- A “derrick” is a lifting device similar to a crane and a pulley, which is used in the form of floating derricks and oil derricks.
- A “derrick” is a type of frame used for hangings, which is named after executioner Thomas Derrick of the Elizabethan Era.
- "Derek Shepherd" is a fictional doctor, played by Patrick Dempsey, on the television show “Grey’s Anatomy.” He is nicknamed McDreamy.
- "Derek Frye" is a fictional Police Chief on the soap opera “All My Children.”
- "Derek Klivian" was a Rogue Squadron pilot in the Star Wars movies.
- "Life with Derek" is a Canadian television show featuring the lead character Derek Venturi, played by Michael Seater.
- "Derekh Hamelekh" is an Israeli song by Gili Netanel and Galit Burg-Michael.
- "Derek Albion Smalls" is a fictional character in the spoof rockumentary This is Spinal Tap.
- "Derek Thomas Reese" is a Resistance fighter sent to the past by the future John Connor. He is the older brother of Kyle Reese and biological uncle of John. (Terminator)
- Derek Sanderson Jeter – Major League Baseball (MLB) shortstop who has been selected as an All Star eight times.
- Sir Derek George Jacobi – Theatrical actor and director who was knighted for his services to his craft.
- Bo Derek (born Mary Cathleen Collins) – Film actress and model.
- Sir Derek Harold Richard Barton - Nobel Prize winner for Chemistry in 1969.
- Derek Alton Walcott - Nobel Prize winner for Literature in 1992.
- Derek William Mario Marlowe – English playwright, screenwriter and novelist.
- Derek K. Smart – Controversial developer who created the video games “Battlecruiser 3000AD” and “Universal Combat.” He is the President of 3000AD, Inc.
- Derek Brockway – Weather forecaster for television’s “BBC Wales Today.”
Derek Smith, Derek Johnson, Derek Williams, Derek Jones, Derek Brown, Derek Davis, Derek Miller, Derek Wilson, Derek Moore, Derek Taylor, Derek Aab, Derek Aagaard, Derek Aalerud, Derek Aamodt, Derek Aamoth, Derek Aanenson, Derek Aaron, Derek Aaronscooke, Derek Aasen, Derek Abad, Derek Abaroa, Derek Abart, Derek Abbas, Derek Abbassi, Derek Abbenes, Derek Abbey, Derek Abbitt, Derek Abbo, Derek Abbot, Derek Abbott, Derek Abbring, Derek Abdalla, Derek Abdella, Derek Abdelmaseh, Derek Abdine, Derek Abe, Derek Abel, Derek Abelende, Derek Abell, Derek Abelson, Derek Aben, Derek Abendroth, Derek Aber, Derek Aberle, Derek Abernathy, Derek Abeyta, Derek Abidin, Derek Abing, Derek Abis, Derek Abitz, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||leader of the people, ruler of the people, gifted ruler +|
|Meaningnc||leader of the people, ruler of the people, gifted ruler +|
|Origin||Old Germanic +, and German +|
|Pronunciation||DARE-ik, DEH-rek, DER-ek, DARE-eck +|
|Rank in 2000s||145 +|
|Related||Darek +, Darren +, Darrick +, Darriq +, Dereck +, Deric +, Derick +, Derik +, Deriq +, Derk +, Derreck +, Derrek +, Derrick +, Derrik +, Derryck +, Derryk +, Deryck +, Deryk +, Deryke +, Dick +, Dirk +, Dirke +, Dyrk +, Jerrick +, Rick +, and Tarek +|