|Meaning:||valley, church official, academic department head|
|Related Names:||Deane, Deen, Dene, Deyn|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, meaning or many translations, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Dean originates as a surname derived from location names, which utilize the Old English “denu” meaning “valley,” often associated with any who lived in or near a valley. Additionally, surnames stemmed from the Middle English “deen” meaning “dean” and the Old French “deien” meaning “dean,” deriving from the Latin “decanus” meaning “chief,” from the occupation of leading a church related group endeavor. Therefore, Dean is associated with meaning “church official.” It is also the occupational name of one who heads an academic department.
According to the 1990 United States Census , Dean ranked as the 173rd most popular male first name, the 1,701st most popular female first name and the 236th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names every decade since 1880.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names every year from 2000 (378th) through 2006 (385th).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Dean in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:385th
- Year: 2005 Rank:384th
- Year: 2004 Rank:373rd
- Year: 2003 Rank:382nd
- Year: 2002 Rank:372nd
- Year: 2001 Rank:356th
- Year: 2000 Rank:378th
In 2007, the popularity of the boy’s name Dean ranked 99th in Australia.
- “Dean” is the name of a category five hurricane from the 2007 Atlantic hurricane season, which is credited as being the seventh most intense Atlantic hurricane recorded to date.
- “Dean” is a name belonging to babies of celebrities Dean Martin and Diane Keaton.
- July 1st is celebrated by Slovakia in honor of the name Dean.
- “Dean” is the name of locations in Pennsylvania and Texas, USA.
- “Hey Deanie” is the name of a song performed by Shaun Cassidy.
- “James Dean (I Wanna Know)” is the name of a song by Daniel Bedingfield.
- “James Dean in Tennessee” is the title of a song by Jessica Andrews.
- Dean Martin – Film and television actor who was nominated for four Emmy Awards for “Best Comedian or Comedienne” in 1952 and for “Outstanding Variety or Musical Series” for “The Dean Martin Show" in 1969 and 1970 and for “Outstanding Variety Series – Musical” for “The Dean Martin Show" in 1972. 
- Dean Cain (born Dean George Tanaka) – Television and film actor who became well known for playing Clark Kent and Superman in the television drama “Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.” 
- Dean Ray Koontz – American novel writer, who specializes in suspence, mystery, horror and science fiction. 
- Howard Brush Dean III – American politician who is the seventy-ninth Governor of Vermont. In 2004, he was a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination.
Dean Smith, Dean Johnson, Dean Williams, Dean Jones, Dean Brown, Dean Davis, Dean Miller, Dean Wilson, Dean Moore, Dean Taylor, Dean Aafedt, Dean Aakhus, Dean Aakre, Dean Aallen, Dean Aamodt, Dean Aaron, Dean Aarre, Dean Aarsvold, Dean Aasen, Dean Aasgaard, Dean Abarra, Dean Abatayo, Dean Abatte, Dean Abb, Dean Abbett, Dean Abbondanza, Dean Abbott, Dean Abdallah, Dean Abdelaaty, Dean Abdouch, Dean Abdoun, Dean Abdul, Dean Abel, Dean Abele, Dean Abelson, Dean Abendroth, Dean Abendschein, Dean Ableidinger, Dean Annette, Dean Armitage, Dean Barnette, Dean Vallejo, Dean Wallaca, Dean Aalami, Dean Aanderud, Dean Aanenson, Dean Aanerud, Dean Aarestad, Dean Aarnio, Dean Aarniokoski, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||valley, church official, academic department head +|
|Meaningnc||valley, church official, academic department head +|
|Rank in 2000s||370 +|
|Related||Deane +, Deen +, Dene +, and Deyn +|