|Meaning:||dweller in the valley, from Denmark, honorable, God will judge, God is judge|
|Related Names:||Dain, Daine, Dana, Daneen, Danel, Danette, Danon, Dayne, Dayner, Duane|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Dane originates as the English surname “Dane” meaning “dweller in the valley” deriving from the Old English “denu” meaning “valley.” Alternatively, it was a surname meaning “from Denmark” or “a Dane.” Additionally, it is associated with meaning “honorable,” “God will judge” or “God is judge.”
According to the 1990 United States Census , Dane ranked as the 621st most popular male first name and the 12,075th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names every year since 1945, when it ranked 733rd.
According to the Social Security Administration , in the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names every year from 2000 (424th) through 2006 (393rd).
United States Popularity of the boy's name Dane in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:393rd
- Year: 2005 Rank:456th
- Year: 2004 Rank:468th
- Year: 2003 Rank:438th
- Year: 2002 Rank:458th
- Year: 2001 Rank:441st
- Year: 2000 Rank:424th
In the 21st century, Dane has ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy’s names in New South Wales, Australia, and British Columbia, Canada. 
- “Dane” is a given first name of a child of celebrity Lee Majors. 
- “Dane” is the name of a town in Dane County in southern Wisconsin, USA.
- “The Dane” is a term to describe Prince Hamlet of Denmark in the tragic play “Hamlet” written by William Shakespeare circa 1600. 
- In the DC Comics Universe, Dane is a superhero of the Wetworks group who has superhuman physical, telepathic and psychic powers. 
- Dane Jeffrey Cook – Popular American comedian who created three comedy albums, is the star of his own HBO special “Vicious Circle” and starred in the comedic movies “Employee of the Month” (2006) and “Good Luck Chuck” (2007). 
- Claire Catherine Danes – Television and film actress who was nominated for a primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series” for her work in the television drama “My So-Called Life" in 1994. She was also nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by the Cast of a Theatrical Motion Picture” for her collaborative effort in the 2002 film “The Hours.” 
- Dane A. Davis – Film and television sound department specialist who won an Academy Award (Oscar) for “Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing” for the science fiction movie “The Matrix” in 2000. 
Dane Smith, Dane Johnson, Dane Williams, Dane Jones, Dane Brown, Dane Davis, Dane Miller, Dane Wilson, Dane Moore, Dane Taylor, Dane Aaron, Dane Abels, Dane Able, Dane Abruzzo, Dane Adcock, Dane Addison, Dane Adelman, Dane Adrian, Dane Aemmer, Dane Agrippino, Dane Aguilar, Dane Ainsworth, Dane Aagaard, Dane Aaker, Dane Aaro, Dane Aarons, Dane Aasved, Dane Abbe, Dane Abbott, Dane Abosso, Dane Abraham, Dane Aconfora, Dane Acree, Dane Acton, Dane Adam, Dane Adams, Dane Adams-lamoray, Dane Adaniya, Dane Adee, Dane Aderholt, Dane Ades, Dane Adkinson, Dane Adolph, Dane Aemu, Dane Afman, Dane Agresti, Dane Aguirre, Dane Ahlefeld, Dane Ahlstrom, Dane Aiken, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||dweller in the valley, from Denmark, honorable, God will judge, God is judge +|
|Meaningnc||dweller in the valley, from denmark, honorable, god will judge, god is judge +|
|Pronunciation||dayn, dain +|
|Rank in 2000s||419 +|
|Related||Dain +, Daine +, Dana +, Daneen +, Danel +, Danette +, Danon +, Dayne +, Dayner +, and Duane +|