|Related Names:||Claudius, Marie-Claude, Claud, Claudio, Klaudio, Claudian, Claudell, Claudia, Claudette|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Claude, both a masculine and feminine name, is a derivative of the Roman name Claudius, which is, in turn, derived from the Latin claudus “lame” “crippled.” Claudius was originally the surname of a great Roman family (Julio-Claudian dynasty), but it came to be used as a first name by Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus, known as the Roman Emperor Claudius. He’s mentioned simply as Claudius in the New Testament: “There he (Paul) met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all the Jews to leave Rome.” (Acts 18:2)
A contemporary of Emperor Claudius was St. Claudia, possibly the daughter of British King Caractacus. She was sent to Rome with her family as prisoners after being defeated by the Roman commander, Aulus Plautius. The family was released by Emperor Claudius, and Claudia took his name. (Another story is that her father was an ally of the emperor, which is why Claudia took his name.) The family stayed in Rome and eventually became Christian. Claudia probably married Pudens, a Roman senator, who was also a Christian, and they used their home as a Christian center in Rome, where it’s quite possible they were visited by Peter and Paul. Paul mentions them in his second letter to Timothy: “Eubulus greets you, and so do Pudens, Linus, Claudia and all the brothers.” (2 Tim. 4:21) The Linus mentioned here is most likely Claudia’s son, who later became the second Pope.
From 1880 to present, either Claude or Claudia have been in the top 1000 baby names in the United States: 
- 1880 – Claude 52-----Claudia 252
- 1890 – Claude 57-----Claudia 289
- 1900 – Claude 69-----Claudia 305
- 1910 – Claude 91-----Claudia 315
- 1920 – Claude 105----Claudia 346
- 1930 – Claude 129----Claudia 254
- 1940 – Claude 160----Claudia disappears entirely for three decades.
- 1950 – Claude 216
- 1960 – Claude 305
- 1970 – Claude 449----Claudia 195
- 1980 – Claude 625----Claudia 198 (Now Claude disappears.)
- 1990 – -----------------Claudia 191
- 2000 – -----------------Claudia 254
While travelling around the United States, one can visit several places called Claude: 
- AL – Claude D Kelley State Park
- AK – Claude Point
- AZ – Claude Birdseye Point
- AR – Claude
- CA – Claude Prospect (mine); Claude Parker Ranch
- CO - Claude Shaft Mine
- MT – Claude
- NM – Claude Number 3 Mine
- OR – Claude
- TN – Claude Ledbetter Mine
- TX – Claude; Claude Owens Ranch
- WV – Claude
Movies with Claude in the title – rent one tonight! 
- Desperate Desmond Foiled by Claude Eclaire (1911)
- Desperate Desmond Pursued by Claude Eclaire (1911)
- Claude Duval (1924)
- Columbia Thrills of Music 9952: Claude Thornhill and His Orchestra (1947)
- Claude Thornhill & Orchestra (1950)
- The Art of Claude Lorrain (1970)
- Bunny and Claude: We Rob Carrot Patches (1968)
- Manhunt for Claude Dallas (1986) (TV)
- Being at Home with Claude (1992)
- Claude (1993)
- Dear Jean-Claude (1998)
- Working with François Truffaut: Claude de Givray and Bernard Revon, Co-Writers (2003) (V)
- Claude: A Symphony of Horror (2005)
- Playing a Part: The Story of Claude Cahun (2005)
- Claude Debussy (born 1862, died 1918), French composer
- Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle (born 1760, died 1836), wrote “La Marseillaise” (French national anthem)
- Claude Nicollier (born 1944), astronaut on Atlantis (1992), Endeavour (1993), Columbia (1996)
- Claude Issorat, French athlete, winner of gold in the 1996 Olympics for the 1500m wheelchair race
- Claude Simon (b. 1913), 1985 Nobel Prize winner for Literature
- Claude Sitton, 1983 Pulitzer Prize winner for Commentary
- Claude H. Van Tyne, 1930 Pulitzer Prize winner for History
 Claude Rains (born 1889, died 1967), an American actor, won the 1951 Tony award for Best Actor in a Play for his portrayal of Nicolai Semonovitch Rubashov in Arthur Koestler’s Darkness at Noon. He appeared in 58 movies and more than 70 plays, but he’s best known for his portrayal of the unscrupulous and opportunistic Capt. Renault in Casablanca. He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Motion Pictures.
Claude Monet (Nov. 14, 1840-Dec. 5, 1926) is the most well-known Impressionist painter and the father of the Impressionist style. In fact, the term is taken from his painting, Impression: Sunrise. He’s famous for his treatment of light, and for his choice of colors, both of which are exemplified in the water lily series he painted in his now-famous garden in Ginerny. He lived in his house in Giverny from 1883 until his death in 1926.
"Popular Baby Names." Social Security Online. 11 May 2007. Social Security Administration . 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/babynames/>.
"Place Names Search." Place Names.com. Buttle and Tuttle Ltd . 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.placenames.com/search/>.
"IMDb." IMDb. IMDb.com, Inc.. 14 Apr 2008 <http://imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=claude&x=12&y=10/>.
"Claude." BabyNamer. Oxygen Media. 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.babynamer.com/claude/>.
Campbell, Mike. "View Name: Claude." Behind the Name. 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.behindthename.com/name/claude/>.
"Claude - Name Meaning and Origin." Think Baby Names. Thinkbabynames.com. 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search.php?s=claude&g=1&t=1/>.
"St. Claudia." Catholic Online. Catholic Online . 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=609/>.
Pioch, Nicolas. "Monet, Claude." WebMuseum, Paris. 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/monet/>.
"Welcome to Claude Monet's." Giverny and Vernon . A. Cauderlier, Giverny France . 14 Apr 2008 <http://giverny.org/monet/welcome.htm/>.
Fagan, Garrett. "Claudius (41-54 A.D.)." De Imperatoribus Roamnis. 30 Apr 2004. Pennsylvania State University . 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.roman-emperors.org/claudius.htm/>.
"Tiberius Claudius Drusus ." Illustrated History of the Roman Empire. 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.roman-empire.net/emperors/claudius-index.html/>.
"St. Claudia." IrishCatholicChurch. 06 Aug 2005 . IrishCatholicChurch. 14 Apr 2008 <http://firstname.lastname@example.org/msg00267.html/>.
Knight , Kevin. "Pope St. Linus." New Advent. The Catholic Encyclopedia. 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09272b.htm/>.
"Nancy's Claude Rains' Movie Index." 14 Apr 2008 <http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/6771/movie.html/>.
Claude Robillard, Claude Smith, Claude Johnson, Claude Williams, Claude Jones, Claude Brown, Claude Davis, Claude Miller, Claude Wilson, Claude Moore, Claude Taylor, Claude Abate, Claude Abbassi, Claude Abbew, Claude Abbey, Claude Abbondante, Claude Abeyewardena, Claude Abeyta, Claude Abga, Claude Abizmil, Claude Abner, Claude Abo, Claude Abotsi, Claude Abouchedid, Claude Aboudiwan, Claude Abousayf, Claude Abrams, Claude Abshire, Claude Acheson, Claude Ackerman, Claude Acklen, Claude Agee, Claude Atam, Claude Aaron, Claude Abeln, Claude Ables, Claude Abney, Claude Abraham, Claude Abujrab-saba, Claude Acacia, Claude Acker, Claude Ackles, Claude Abdallah, Claude Abel, Claude Absolom, Claude Achenbach, Claude Acree, Claude Acton, Claude Acuff, Claude Adair, More results
Author: Madeleine Wieder
|Meaning||lame, weak +|
|Meaningnc||lame, weak +|
|Origin||French +, and Latin +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Claudius +, Marie-Claude +, Claud +, Claudio +, Klaudio +, Claudian +, Claudell +, Claudia +, and Claudette +|