|Related Names:||Cisnerose, Cisneross, Cisneroz, Cisnerros, Cisnneros, Swan|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The surname Cisneros comes from the Spanish word “cisne,” meaning “swan.”  “Cisne” derives from the Greek, “kyknos.” The surname may be traced back to the kingdom of Murcia in Spain. Some of the first people with the name Cisneros to come to the new world came as early as 1512. Cisneros was a regional surname, referring to an area of the province Palencia in Spain. Cisneros may also be an Italian surname. 
In the United States, Cisneros ranked as number 1,227 on the list of most common surnames. The most people with this last name are to be found in California, followed by Texas, Florida and Colorado. Within California it ranked as the 282nd most common surname.
- Probably the most famous bearer of this name is contemporary author Sandra Cisneros, who has written well-known books such as Loose Woman, Hollering Creek, The House on Mango Street, and Caramelo. She was born in Chicago and educated at the highly acclaimed Iowa Writer’s Workshop, earning her M.F.A in 1978.
- Many people with the name Cisneros came to the United States via Panama and Cuba.
- There were seven people with the surname Cisneros who served on the Union side of the Civil War.
- Villa Cisneros, former name of Dakhla, Western Sahara
- Cisneros: municipality in Castile y Leon.
- Cisneros Group of Companies: media and telecommunications organization
- Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation
- Sandra Cisneros: author (born 1954)
- Rudy Cisneros: boxer (born 1981)
- Antonio Cisneros: poet (born 1942, Peru)
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Cisnerose +, Cisneross +, Cisneroz +, Cisnerros +, Cisnneros +, and Swan +|