|Meaning:||bounty, spectacle, founder|
|Related Names:||Caddaric, Ced, Cedrick, Cedrik, Cedro, Kedrick, Rick, Sedric, Sedrick, Sedrik|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Cedric has an interesting etymology; it was invented by Sir Walter Scott for a character in his novel, Ivanhoe. It seems he based it on the Welsh, or Old English, name Cerdic (“kindly and loved”), but it’s unclear whether he did it intentionally or not. Some authorities believe that Scott based Cedric on the Welsh name Cedrych “spectacular bounty.” It’s interesting to note, however, that the founder of the kingdom of Wessex was a Saxon named Cerdic, and Ivanhoe has a Saxon setting. 
Cedric has been a popular name in the United States since the beginning of the 20th century. (It’s also an extremely popular name in France and Belgium.) On the Social Security Administration’s list of the top 1000 most popular baby names, it ranks as follows:
- 1900s – 981
- 1910s – 916
- 1930s – 971
- 1940s – 809
- 1950s – 447
- 1960s – 296
- 1970s – 245
- 1980s – 268
- 1990s – 410
- 2000s – 536 
- According to the science of numerology, people named Cedric tend to be very nurturing and caring. They’re peacemakers and often act as such among their families and friends. They strive for balance and harmony in their surroundings, but sometimes they worry too much about the people they care for. They’re responsible and affectionate, and they often have trouble saying “no.”
- According to the Kabalarian Philosophy, the name Cedric creates an urge to seek change and new challenges and explore new ideas, but it also causes a superior and interfering attitude. The name creates great vision and the ability to develop new and better ways of doing things. Unfortunately, this isn’t balanced by any level of patience, and rather than help others organize their work more efficiently, people named Cedric tend to step in and take it over so it gets done right. 
- Both DC and Marvel comics have characters name Cedric. 
- Travelers in the United States won’t be kept busy by visiting places named Cedric. Maybe on their way to other destinations, they can stop in Cedric, Montana, or Mount Cedric Wright, California. 
- If you’re in the mood for a movie with the name Cedric in the title, you’re out of luck, unless you speak French or German. If you’ll settle for a movie with a character named Cedric, you’ll have a little more success (a lot more if you speak French or German); you can cozy in and watch:
- Little Lord Fauntleroy (1936)
- Dark Interval (1950)
- Let's Go Crazy (1951)
- Ivanhoe (1952)
- Ivanhoe (1982)
- Ivanhoe (1986)
- The Meaning of Life (1983)
- Robin Hood: The Movie (1991)
- Jackpot (1992)
- Dark Chronicle (2002)
- Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood (2003)
- Shrek 2 (2004)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005),
- Hire a Liar (2006)
- Robbin' in da Hood (2008) 
- Cedric Hardwicke (2/19/1893-8/06/1964), English actor who graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, acted on stage and in over 80 movie roles, was knighted in 1934, and has a star on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Motion Pictures and the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Television.
- Cedric the Entertainer (b.4/24/1964), actor, has appeared in about 20 movies and several TV series. A busy man, as of June, 2008, he has five new movies in the works. 
- If you’re looking for actors named Cedric, there is a veritable army from which you can choose. Just a few of the nearly 500 names you’ll find at imdb.com are:
- Cedric Ellis (A Manhattan Knight (1920))
- Cedric Kent (Poor Cecily (1974))
- Cedric Smith (Anne of Green Gables (1985) (TV))
- Cedric Crofts (Alone in the T-Shirt Zone (1986))
- Cedric Guthrie (Raw Deal (1986))
- Cedric Scott (Jaws: The Revenge (1987))
- Cedric Anthony (The Final Sanction (1990))
- Cedric Michaels (1871 (1990))
- Cedric Giraud (Hurt Penguins (1992))
- Cedric Barksdale (Drive by: A Love Story (1997))
- Cedric Peney (Bad Business (1997))
- Cedric Shurraw (Hand (1998))
- Cedric Turner (Falling Fire (1998))
- Cedric Duplechain (King Cobra (1999) (V))
- Cedric V. Young (Pay the Price (2000))
- Cedric Carter (Crime Partners 2000 (2001))
- Cedric Moore (Black & Blue (2001))
- Cedric Wills (Ali (2001))
- Cedric Amsellem (Blues Stop (2003))
- Cedric Faes (Any Way the Wind Blows (2003))
- Cedric De Souza (The Chronicles of Riddick (2004))
- Cedric [Foster]] (Friday Night Lights (2004))
- Cedric Jefferson (Two for the Money (2005))
- Cedric Yarbrough (The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005))
- Cedric Young (Batman Begins (2005))
- Cedric Sanders (American Gangster (2007))
- Cedric Bello (House Arrest (2008) (V))
- Cedric Fulton (Partly Cloudy (2008) (V)) 
Cedric Smith, Cedric Johnson, Cedric Williams, Cedric Jones, Cedric Brown, Cedric Davis, Cedric Miller, Cedric Wilson, Cedric Moore, Cedric Taylor, Cedric Aboussan, Cedric Abram, Cedric Akau, Cedric Alain, Cedric Aaron, Cedric Abalos, Cedric Abbott, Cedric Abercrombie, Cedric Abney, Cedric Abolos, Cedric Abraham, Cedric Abrahams, Cedric Abrams, Cedric Abriam, Cedric Abron, Cedric Absalon, Cedric Acdan, Cedric Acosta, Cedric Acy, Cedric Adair, Cedric Adams, Cedric Adaway, Cedric Addie, Cedric Addison, Cedric Adegnika, Cedric Adell, Cedric Ademain, Cedric Adkins, Cedric Adriaenssens, Cedric Adway, Cedric Agard, Cedric Agee, Cedric Ager, Cedric Agnew, Cedric Agomate, Cedric Ah, Cedric Aker, Cedric Akins, Cedric Akion, Cedric Baar, More results
Author: Madeleine Wieder
Campbell, Mike. "View Name: Cedric." Behind the Name. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.behindthename.com/name/cedric>.
Gruber, Brian & Rachel. "The meaning of Cedric." BirthVillage.com. BirthVillage.com. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.birthvillage.com/meaning/Cedric>.
Harper, Douglas. Online Etymology Dictionary. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=cedric&searchmode=none>.
"5 results for CEDRIC ." Place Names.com. Buttle and Tuttle Ltd. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.placenames.com>.
"Baby Name Cedric." Baby Names Magic. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamesmagic.com/c-boy/baby-boy-names-cedric.html>.
"Baby names info for CEDRIC." BabyNameFacts.com. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamefacts.com/babynames/summary.php?name=Cedric>.
"Baby names - the name Cedric." YeahBaby.com. YeahBaby.com. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.yeahbaby.com/baby-name.php?name=Cedric>.
"CEDRIC." Ancestor Search. SearchforAncestors.Com . 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.ancestry.com/facts/sandler-name-meaning.ashx?fn=cedric&yr>.
"Cedric." BabyNamer. Oxygen Media. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.babynamer.com/cedric>.
"Cedric Hardwicke." NNDB. Soylent Communications. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.nndb.com/people/265/000108938>.
"Cedric - Name Meaning and Origin." Think Baby Names. Thinkbabynames.com. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search.php?g=1&t=1&s=cedric>.
"Cedric the Entertainer." IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0147825>.
"Hardwicke, Sir Cedric (1893-1964)." BFI screenonline. BFI Screenonline. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.screenonline.org.uk/people/id/483436>.
"Meaning and origin of Cedric." Birthcare. Birthcare, LLC.. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/M/Celtic/meaning.asp?name=Cedric>.
"Name Analysis - Meaning of your Name." Kabalarian Philosophy. Society of Kabalarians of Canada & Kabalarian Philosophy. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.kabalarians.com/index.cfm>.
"Popular Baby Names." Social Security Online. 19 May 2008. Social Security Administration. 9 Jun 2008 <http://ssa.gov/OACT/babynames>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?fr=c2M9MXxsbT01MDB8ZmI9Y3x4PTE4fHk9MTB8bXg9MjB8aHRtbD0xfHNpdGU9ZGZ8cT1jZWRyaWN8bm09MXxwbj0w;lm=0;nr=1>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 9 Jun 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=char&q=cedric&x=17&y=9>.
|Meaning||bounty, spectacle, founder +|
|Meaningnc||bounty, spectacle, founder +|
|Rank in 2000s||536 +|
|Related||Caddaric +, Ced +, Cedrick +, Cedrik +, Cedro +, Kedrick +, Rick +, Sedric +, Sedrick +, and Sedrik +|