|Meaning:||six, sixth, blind|
|Related Names:||Cecilia, Cecilio, Cecilius, Cecile, Cecily|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Cecil is of two separate Latin derivations:
first, from the Old Welsh name Seissylt, a form of the Latin name Sextilius, derived from the Latin sextus, meaning “six,” or “sixth,”
second, from the Roman family name Cæcilius, a derivative of the Latin cæcus, meaning “blind.”
Cecil was a popular name in the United States during the 20th century, opening at number 76 on the list of top 1000 baby boy names in 1900. As the century wore on, the name declined in popularity, and finally disappeared from the list in 2000. Year and rank of the name Cecil on the Social Security Administration’s list of top 1000 most popular baby boy names:
- 1880 – 248
- 1890 – 121
- 1900 -- 76
- 1910 -- 77
- 1920 -- 77
- 1930 -- 99
- 1940 – 117
- 1950 – 171
- 1960 – 256
- 1970 – 338
- 1980 – 401
- 1990 – 664 
- In numerology, a person named Cecil is likely to be an adventurous free spirit. A thrill-seeker, he will yearn for adventure and change; at the same time, he is compassionate and understanding.
- Cecil the Sick Sea Serpent was a character first in 1949 on a 15-minute television puppet show called Time For Beany. It went off the air in 1955, but came back as an animated series called Matty's Funnies with Beany and Cecil which ran during prime time in 1962. Eventually, it was renamed Beany and Cecil, and in 1963 it was moved to Saturday mornings, where it ran until 1967.
- Cecil Vyse is a character in the movie A Room With a View.
- In the United States, one can visit:
- Cecil, AL, AR, GA, KY, LA, MI, NJ, NC, OH, OR, PA, WV, and WI, as well as:
- Cecil Rhode Mountain, Mount Cecil, and Cecil Dome in AK
- Cecil Hollow in AR
- Cecilville and Cecil Point in CA
- Cecil Hill and Cecil Ridge in KY
- Cecil Mountain in ME
- Cecil County, Cecil Manor, and Cecilton in MD
- Cecil Bay in MI
- Cecil Coulee in MT
- Cecil Hollow in OH
- Cecil Hollow in TN
- Cecil Ridge in WV 
- Relax with a movie:
- Right Honorable Cecil Rhodes (1899)
- Cecil Lean and Cleo Mayfield (1929)
- The World’s Greatest Showman: The Legend of Cecil B, DeMille (1963) (TV)
- Beany and Cecil Meet Billy the Squid (1959)
- The Babymaker: The Dr. Cecil Jacobson Story (1994) (TV)
- Beany and Cecil: The Special Edition (1999) (TV)
- Cecil B. DeMented (2000)
- Gloria Swanson and Cecil B. DeMille (2000) (TV)
- Cecil B. DeMille: American Epic (2004) (TV) 
- Cecil Brown (9/14/1907-10/25/1987) American journalist and radio broadcaster, Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame for Radio, Overseas Press Club Best Reporter Award, George Foster Peabody award for journalistic excellence.
- Cecil B. Demille (1881-1959) – American film maker known for his huge lavish movie sets, footprints on Hollywood’s Footprints of Fame, Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame for Motion Pictures, directed 70 films. Awards:
- 1935: Best Picture Nominee for Cleopatra
- 1950: Honorary Award -- distinguished motion picture pioneer for 37 years of brilliant showmanship.
- 1953: Best Picture Oscar for The Greatest Show On Earth.
- 1953: Awarded the greatest honor a producer can receive – Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award for a creative producer who has been responsible for a consistently high quality of motion picture production.
- 1953 – Best Picture Nominee for The Ten Commandments.
- Cecil F. Powell (December 5th, 1903 - August 9, 1969) – British physicist, was Foreign Member of the Academy of Sciences of the U.S.S.R., was Vernon Boys Prizeman and Honorary Fellow of the Physical Society in 1947, elected Fellow of the Royal Society and won the Hughes Medal in 1949, 1950 Nobel Prize winner in Physics, won the Royal Medal in 1961, received honorary Doctor of Science degrees from universities in Dublin, Bordeaux, and Warsaw, was a Foreign Member of the Academy of Sciences of the U.S.S.R., and served on the Scientific Policy Committee of the European Organization for Nuclear Research in Geneva in 1961. 
- Cecil Rhodes (7/5/1853-3/26/1902) British financier, statesman, Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and Rhodes Scholarship, which he endowed, were named after him, Prime Minister of Cape Colony in Africa 1890-1896, founded DeBeers Consolidated Mines LTD. 1888. He was of dubious character, accused of trickery in his dealings with the ruler of the Matabele, King Lobengula , and he was a staunch Imperialist, who firmly believed that Britain should recover all its colonies, including those in the United States, and expand until it controlled all the white nations of the world.
Campbell, Mike. "View Name: Cecil." Behind the Name. 28 Apr 2008 <http://www.behindthename.com/name/cecil/>.
Gruber, Brian & Rachel. "The meaning of Cecil." BirthVillage.com. 30 Apr 2008 <http://www.birthvillage.com/meaning/Cecil/>.
Harper, Douglas. Online Etymology Dictionary. 28 Apr 2008 <http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=cecil&searchmode=none/>.
Kurer, Ron. "THE BEANY AND CECIL SHOW." Toon Tracker. JULY 15, 2006. 5 May 2008 <http://www.toontracker.com/beanytoon/beanytoons.htm/>.
"195 results for cecil ." Place Names.com. Buttle and Tuttle Ltd. 30 Apr 2008 <http://www.placenames.com/>.
"Baby Name Cecil." Baby Names Magic. 30 Apr 2008 <http://www.babynamesmagic.com/c-boy/baby-boy-names-cecil.html/>.
"Cecil Rhodes" Encyclopædia Britannica. 2008. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 30 Apr. 2008 <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/501604/Cecil-John-Rhodes/>.
"Cecil." BabyNamer. Oxygen Media. 28 Apr 2008 <http://www.babynamer.com/cecil/>.
"Cecil - Name Meaning and Origin." Think Baby Names. Thinkbabynames.com. 28 Apr 2008 < http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search.php?s=cecil&g=1&t=1/>.
"Cecil Powell Biography." Nobelprize.org. The Nobel Foundation. 30 Apr 2008 <http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1950/powell-bio.html/>.
"The day Surname." Ancestor Search. SearchforAncestors.Com . 28 Apr 2008 < http://www.ancestry.com/facts/day-name-meaning.ashx?fn=cecil&yr/>.
"Meaning and origin of Cecil." Birthcare. Birthcare, LLC. 30 Apr 2008 <http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/M/English/meaning.asp?name=Cecil/>.
"Popularity of a Name." Social Security Online. 11 May 2007. Social Security Administration. 28 Apr 2008 <http://ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 30 Apr 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=cecil/>.
Cecil Smith, Cecil Johnson, Cecil Williams, Cecil Jones, Cecil Brown, Cecil Davis, Cecil Miller, Cecil Wilson, Cecil Moore, Cecil Taylor, Cecil Aberin, Cecil Achord, Cecil Calvin, Cecil Abner, Cecil Abitan, Cecil Ables, Cecil Abrea, Cecil Absher, Cecil Acheson, Cecil Ackerson, Cecil Ackison, Cecil Acuff, Cecil Adame, Cecil Adams, Cecil Adamson, Cecil Adcock, Cecil Adcox, Cecil Addair, Cecil Addenbrooke, Cecil Addis, Cecil Addison, Cecil Addy, Cecil Ade, Cecil Adee, Cecil Ader, Cecil Aderhold, Cecil Adgers, Cecil Adickes, Cecil Adjetey, Cecil Adkins, Cecil Adkisson, Cecil Adolph, Cecil Adrian, Cecil Afee, Cecil Affleck, Cecil Affolter, Cecil Agabao, Cecil Agard, Cecil Agee, Cecil Agimudie, More results
Author: Madeleine Wieder
|Meaning||six, sixth, blind +|
|Meaningnc||six, sixth, blind +|
|Pronunciation||SESS-ul, SEE-sul +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Cecilia +, Cecilio +, Cecilius +, Cecile +, and Cecily +|