|Pronunciation:||bruk, brook, bruwk|
|Meaning:||a brook, small stream, breaking forth|
|Related Names:||Brook, Brookelle, Brookie, Brooklyn, Brooklynn, Brooklynne, Brooks, Brooky|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Brooke derives from the Middle English brok meaning “a brook,” “a small stream” or “breaking forth.” The name “Brook,” from which “Brooke” is derived, was originally used as an English surname denoting someone who lived near a brook.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Brooke ranked as the 397th most popular female first name and the 7,225th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular girls' names five decades since 1880, including each of the last five. In the 21st century, the name ranked in the Top 100 most popular girls' names every year from 2000 (51st) through 2006 (44th).
United States Popularity of the girl's name Brooke in the 21st Century:
- Year: 2006 Rank:44th
- Year: 2005 Rank:46th
- Year: 2004 Rank:46th
- Year: 2003 Rank:43rd
- Year: 2002 Rank:52nd
- Year: 2001 Rank:57th
- Year: 2000 Rank:51st
In 2007, the popularity of the girl’s name Brooke ranked 17th in New Zealand and 79th in Australia. Additionally, in 2006, the popularity of the girl’s name Brooke ranked 55th in England.
- “Brooke Logan (formerly Forrester, Chambers, Jones and Marone),” played by Katherine Kelly Lang, is a character on the soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful who also appeared on the soap opera The Young and the Restless.
- “Brooke Bond” is the name of a tea company in the United Kingdom.
- Brooke Christa Shields – Film and television actress who was nominated for two Golden Globe Awards for “Best Performance by an Actress in a TV-Series - Comedy/Musical” for her work in the television show Suddenly Susan. Additionally, she was nominated for a variety of Razzie Awards and won three of them.
- Brooke Adams – Model, wrestler and dancer.
- Brooke Lisa Burke – Television personality and model who rose to notoriety for hosting the television show Wild On! from 1999 to 2002.
- Brooke Astor – Philanthropist and former chairwoman of the Vincent Astor Foundation, which was established by her third husband, Vincent Astor.
- Brooke Gambrell – Miss Idaho, USA, in 2000.
- Brooke Victoria Anderson – Television news personality and anchorwoman.
- Brooke Angus – Miss Vermont, USA, in 2002.
Brooke Hansen, Brooke Smith, Brooke Johnson, Brooke Williams, Brooke Jones, Brooke Brown, Brooke Davis, Brooke Miller, Brooke Wilson, Brooke Moore, Brooke Taylor, Brooke Aaragon, Brooke Aaron, Brooke Aarsen, Brooke Abbasi, Brooke Abbatantuono, Brooke Abbate, Brooke Abben, Brooke Abbey, Brooke Abbitt, Brooke Abbondanza, Brooke Abbott, Brooke Abdallah, Brooke Abdelnoor, Brooke Abee, Brooke Abell, Brooke Abelsen, Brooke Abercrombie, Brooke Abernathy, Brooke Abernethy, Brooke Abicht, Brooke Abitabilo, Brooke Ables, Brooke Ablon, Brooke Abner, Brooke Abola, Brooke Aboulhosn, Brooke Abounader, Brooke Abraham, Brooke Abramowitz, Brooke Abrams, Brooke Abramson, Brooke Abramson-singh, Brooke Abruzzo, Brooke Absher, Brooke Abson, Brooke Abughosh, Brooke Acchione, Brooke Achatz, Brooke Achee, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||a brook, small stream, breaking forth +|
|Meaningnc||a brook, small stream, breaking forth +|
|Pronunciation||bruk, brook, bruwk +|
|Rank in 2000s||46 +|
|Related||Brook +, Brookelle +, Brookie +, Brooklyn +, Brooklynn +, Brooklynne +, Brooks +, and Brooky +|