|Meaning:||God's promise, House of Figs|
|Related Names:||Bethany, Bethel, Bethie, Elisabeth, Elisabetta, Elizabeth, Liz|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
Beth is a common English name which is a shortened form of Elizabeth or Bethany and other variations of these two names. The name Beth is occasionally a given name in addition to being the shortened form or nickname for another name. The spelling Elizabeth is an anglicized version of the spelling Elisabeth which is still used in English speaking places, but is less common than Elizabeth. Elisabeth is still a common spelling in France and other parts of the world.
The name Beth fell off the chart of the 1000 most popular female given names in the U.S. in after 1996. Up until then, it was on the list of most popular names. The name peaked around 1960 when it was in the top 50 female given names in the U.S.
In Scotland, the name is much more popular than it is in the U.S. In Scotland the name varies each year between the top 25 and top 60 female given names. Currently, it is ranked about the 50th most popular female given name. Its popularity in the U.S. is a far cry from Scotland, nonetheless, it remains a baby name given in America.
- Beth was one of the four sisters portrayed in Louisa May Alcott's book entitled Little Women.
- Beth is the name of a song by KISS
- Beth is the name of the second letter in many alphabets, such as Hebrew and Aramaic.
- Beth is the name for a series of infinite cardinal numbers (their name comes from the letter Beth in Semitic alphabets).
- Beth Clement was a character on the soap Holyoaks airing in the UK
- There's a 'Beth's Cafe' in Seattle, Washington
- Willem Evert Beth was a Dutch logician and philosopher
- Beth is a name that a famous Spanish musician goes by--no surname or composite name, just simply 'Beth'
- Beth Cahill an actress on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Beth Hart is a musician and performer
- Beth Apeldoorn was a popular author of the 20th century
- Beth Daniel is a golfer who made it all the way to the Hall of Fame
- Beth Custer is a jazz musician
- Beth Orton is a folk & pop musician and songwriter
- Beth Gibbons is a musician
Beth Smith, Beth Johnson, Beth Williams, Beth Jones, Beth Brown, Beth Davis, Beth Miller, Beth Wilson, Beth Moore, Beth Taylor, Beth Aaberg, Beth Aaker, Beth Aakre, Beth Aandal, Beth Aanonson, Beth Aarhaus, Beth Aarhus, Beth Aarni, Beth Aaron, Beth Aarons, Beth Aaronson, Beth Aasby, Beth Abadi, Beth Abadie, Beth Abalama, Beth Abanathie, Beth Abay, Beth Abbass, Beth Abbinanti, Beth Abbitt, Beth Abbott, Beth Abdallah, Beth Abdilla, Beth Abegglen, Beth Abell, Beth Abelman, Beth Abeln, Beth Abelson, Beth Aben, Beth Abend, Beth Aber, Beth Absher, Beth Ambs, Beth Banks, Beth Aalbers, Beth Aalid, Beth Aamodt, Beth Aasen, Beth Abarca, Beth Abate, More results
|Meaning||God's promise, House of Figs +|
|Meaningnc||god's promise, house of figs +|
|Origin||Greek +, and Hebrew +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Bethany +, Bethel +, Bethie +, Elisabeth +, Elisabetta +, Elizabeth +, and Liz +|