|Meaning:||son of the farmer|
|Related Names:||Bairtlimead, Bart, Bartalan, Bartel, Barth, Barthelemy, Barthlomeo, Bartholomaus, Bartlet, Bartlett, Bat, Thole|
HISTORY AND ORIGIN
Anyone familiar with the Bible, the New Testament in particular, would not be surprised to find that Bartholomew has Hebrew, or more precisely Aramaic, origins. Aramaic is one of the Semitic languages spoken across the Middle East and North Africa. Aramaic has Phoenician roots and seems to have spread with the Assyrian Empire. Around 700 BC, the language began to appear in Mesopotamia, Babylon and Egypt and was the international language of the time. It was, in fact, the language in which Jesus spoke and taught.
The name actually means son of talmai and talmai is the Hebrew word for abounding in furrows. One who lives in the furrows, the shallow rows that are made in a field with a plow, is a farmer. The Jews, being perhaps one of the most migratory of peoples, carried the name with them as they traveled throughout the world.
Although the name was a common first name in the past, it has not been very popular in the twentieth and twenty first centuries. Since 1880, it was ranked 697th, but after 1900 it peaked into the top 1000 only occasionally with its highest ranking being 878 in 1969. However, from 1940 to 1990 its abbreviated form, Bart, was consistently in the top 1000. In the thirties it reached 904, in the sixties it made it to 314th, but in the eighties it dropped to 811 and has not been in the top 1000 since.
- Bartholomew, the apostle of the Christ, was put to death by the king of Armenia for having the audacity to preach the gospel to the king's brother. St. Bartholomew's Day is celebrated on August 24.
- Although Black Bart was, perhaps, not the most famous of pirates (Captain Kidd and Blackbeard each have more name recognition) Bartholomew Roberts, or Black Bart, was the most successful pirate of his day. He is responsible for capturing more ships than any other pirate of the 18th century.
- St. Bartholomew's Day, August 24, 1572, was the start of a Catholic slaughter of Protestants in Paris. Streets were closed with chains so Protestants could not escape being killed. It is said the rivers were so full of blood that fish wasn't eaten for a month. Over 100,000 Protestants were killed in what has been called the "St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre."
- Freddie Bartholomew was a very successful child actor appearing in over 25 films before he was 27. His most recognized works were Little Lord Fauntleroy, Anna Karenina, Captain's Courageous and the 1930 version of Toyland. Although he never won an Oscar, he does have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 
- Dave Bartholomew is a songwriter who had a tremendous influence on the rhythm and blues of the fifties. He is responsible for discovering Fats Domino and worked with him on hits like Ain't that a Shame, Bluebery Hill and I'm Walking. Mr. Bartholomew was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991 and into the Songwriter's Hall of Fame in 1998.
- Bartolomeu Dias was a Portuguese explorer who secured his name in the history books by being the first European to sail around to the west coast of Southern Africa in 1488. He named that land mass the Cape of Good Hope as it was a significant accomplishment in developing a sea route to far east, to better facilitate trade with India and China.
- Bartholomew is a county in Indiana.
Bartholomew Acosta, Bartholomew Adams, Bartholomew Adkins, Bartholomew Ahern, Bartholomew Allegretto, Bartholomew Allen, Bartholomew Alves, Bartholomew Amanfo, Bartholomew Ament, Bartholomew Amete, Bartholomew Anderson, Bartholomew Andert, Bartholomew Angeli, Bartholomew Ann, Bartholomew Anyanwu, Bartholomew Apple, Bartholomew Arienza, Bartholomew Armah, Bartholomew Arrigo, Bartholomew Arrington, Bartholomew Azzaro, Bartholomew Badgett, Bartholomew Baeb, Bartholomew Bailey, Bartholomew Bajek, Bartholomew Baker, Bartholomew Baldwin, Bartholomew Abantao, Bartholomew Aboagye, Bartholomew Abraham, Bartholomew Abuo, Bartholomew Acaley, Bartholomew Acholonu, Bartholomew Ajulufoh, Bartholomew Akpuaka, Bartholomew Alazio, Bartholomew Albero, Bartholomew Alexander, Bartholomew Alford, Bartholomew Alich, Bartholomew Amendola, Bartholomew Amoroso, Bartholomew Anastasi, Bartholomew Antiochia, Bartholomew Asomugha, Bartholomew Ault, Bartholomew Aversano, Bartholomew Avery, Bartholomew Babiak, Bartholomew Bacon, More results
|Meaning||son of the farmer +|
|Meaningnc||son of the farmer +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Bairtlimead +, Bart +, Bartalan +, Bartel +, Barth +, Barthelemy +, Barthlomeo +, Bartholomaus +, Bartlet +, Bartlett +, Bat +, and Thole +|