Welcome to WikiName, the name encyclopedia that you can edit. It's all about names - name meanings, name origins, name variants - you name it. We've got information about baby names, brand names, and all kinds of names. Currently, we're even compiling a list of every name in the world! This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names so if you want to add yet another weird name to the ever-growing list of the bizarre, you can be sure to have you very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
- Name of the Day: Eliza is a Latin, English female name meaning nickname, God is my oath.
- Would you like to add your name to the wiki? Click here.
In the Western world, when a person speaks about God, we assume he means the God of the Bible. It’s a safe assumption to make, because if he meant Buddha, he’d say Buddha; if he meant Allah, he’d say Allah; if he meant Rama, he’d say Rama… Still, in the interest of clarity, why not just say the name of the Biblical God and be done with it?
NAMES OF GOD
In the Old Testament book of Exodus, God introduces himself as “I Am Who I Am” (Ex. 3:13), but he uses many other names as well, some of which are:
- El – God (“mighty” “strong”), used 250 times in the Old Testament.
- Elohim – God (“mighty ones”), used 2,570 times in the Old Testament.
- El Shaddai – God Almighty, used 48 times in the Old Testament.
- Adonai – Lord (Master), plural when referring to God, used 300 times in the Old Testament.
- Jehovah (Yahweh, YHWH) – LORD (all capitals), used 6,826 times in the Old Testament.
- Jehovah Elohim – LORD God.
- Jehovah-Jireh – The LORD who Provides.
- Jehovah-Rophe – The LORD who Heals.
- Jehovah-Nissi – The LORD Our Banner.
- Jehovah-Shalom – The LORD Our Peace.
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu – The LORD Our Righteousness.
- Jehovah-Rohi – The LORD our Shepherd.
- Jehovah-Shammah – The LORD who is There.
- Jehovah-Eli – The LORD my God.
- God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
- Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace
- Jesus – Savior
- Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit)
- Holy One
- Spirit Of God
- Light Of Israel
- Our Dwelling Place
- Tower Of Strength
- Most High
- The King
- King Of Israel
- King Of Glory
- Father of Mercies
- The Living God
- Lord Almighty
- The Almighty
- Ancient of Days
- The Majesty
- Eternal Immortal Invisible King
- Son Of David
- Son Of Man
- Son Of God
- King Of Israel
- King Of The Jews
- The Word
- The Word Of Life
- The Life
- Immanuel (God with us)
- Holy One
- Righteous One
- Prince of Life
- Chief Cornerstone
- Good Shepherd
- The Lamb
- Lamb of God
- The Mediator
- The Way, The Truth, And The Life
- Spirit of The Living God
- Spirit of The Lord
- The Eternal Spirit
- The Spirit of Truth
- The Spirit of Messiah
- The Spirit of God
- Faithful God
- Bread Of Life
- Helper or Comforter
- The Alpha And The Omega (The First And The Last) (The Beginning And The End)
It seems that the name we choose to call God depends on which of his characteristics we’re talking about. He’s The Shepherd, and he’s The Lamb. He’s Judge, and Advocate, and Mediator. He’s Servant and Master. He’s Beginning and End. No wonder he introduces himself as I Am Who I Am. _____________________________________________________________________________
<The Holy Bible, King James Version. Philadelphia: A. J. Holman Company, 1973./> <The Holy Bible, New International Version. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1984./> <http://www.abu.nb.ca/ecm/topics/theme2.htm/> <http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-definition-god-titles.htm#prime/> <http://ldolphin.org/Names.html/> <http://www.lillyofthevalleyva.com/jesuslovesyou-godsnames-complist.html/>
Author: Madeleine Wieder