|Meaning:||fidelity, unrestrained, morning star|
|Related Names:||Aaron, Aditi, Arun, Arundathi, Arundhava, Astra, Estrella, Fidel, Roy|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The origin of the name Arundhati is a bit unclear. It is the name given to the Morning Star, and is also the name of the goddess associated with that star. One source suggests that the star was named after a climbing plant, and that the root of the name means "unrestrained." The root of the name is the Sanskrit word rudh, meaning "to restrain," and the prefix a, which means "not."
Another source suggests that the name means "fidelity," but provides no etymological discussion. It is likely that this definition refers to the Arundhati of Hindu mythology, who is considered the ideal faithful wife. It is therefore an association of the name, rather than a definition of it. The same may be said for the interpretation of the name as "morning star."
In Hindu tradition, the goddess Arundhati is paired with the Vedic sage Vasishtha.
In the United States, Arundhati is a very uncommon name. It has not appeared on the list of the top 1000 most popular names in any recorded year.
Arundhati is a more common name in India. Name statistics in India are not accurately kept, however, so it is difficult to determine just how popular a name is. One source cites that Arundhati is the 40th most popular girl's name in India.
- Hindu marriage rituals sometimes include something called an Arundhati Darshan or Arundhati Marriage-Vow, during which the couple and their priest go outside, find the star called Arundhati, and vow to be like Vasishta and Arundhati. Arundhati was a faithful wife, and is seen as the ideal model to which a wife should aspire.
- The star called Arundhati is one of the stars of the constellation Ursa Major, commonly known as the Big Dipper. The star Arundhati is also known as Alcor, and is one of the stars that makes up the handle of the Big Dipper constellation.
- Arundhati.com: genealogy site
- Arundhati Journal: journal featuring a quote from Arundhati Roy, from CafePress
- Arundhati Devi: film director (born 1923)
- Arundathi Nag: actress
- Arundhati Roy: author and activist (born November 24, 1961)
Author: Sarena Emily Levinson
|Meaning||fidelity, unrestrained, morning star +|
|Meaningnc||fidelity, unrestrained, morning star +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Aaron +, Aditi +, Arun +, Arundathi +, Arundhava +, Astra +, Estrella +, Fidel +, and Roy +|