|Related Names:||Amanda, Armando, Arminda, Herman, Ormond,|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND MEANING
Armand is a masculine name which is a French version of the Old German name Herman, meaning “soldier,” “protector,” Latin, meaning “of the army.”
Armand has been a relatively popular name in the United States since the 1800s. Its rank according to the Social Security Administration’s list of the 1000 most popular baby boy names:
- 1880 – 820
- 1890 – 892
- 1900 – 625
- 1910 – 447
- 1920 – 325
- 1930 – 368
- 1940 – 478
- 1950 – 518
- 1960 – 765
- 1970 – 829
- 1997 – 877 
Since the late 1990s, it has also been a popular name in Catalonia and Belgium. 
- In numerology, people with the name Armand tend to be compassionate, dependable, trustworthy, and they love beauty. They’re generous; they value balance and often act as peacemakers.
- Armand Name Days:
- Estonian: July 12
- French: December 23
- Slovakia: April 7
- Armand is a character in The Legend of Zorro (played by Rufus Sewell)
The Armand Hammer Museum is an art museum in Los Angeles, California.
- St. Ormand, also known as St. Armand – abbot of the monastery of Saint Maire, patron saint of monastic expansion and evangelization. 
- Armand Assante (b. 10/4/1949) – actor, has made 70 movies (so far) including, American Gangster, The Killing Grounds, The Road to El Dorado (DreamWorks animated version), Unfaithfully Yours, and Private Benjamin.
- Armand Cure (1919-2003) – Baltimore Colts football player and NBA basketball player
- Armand Cerami – actor, The Blues Brothers 
- Armand Hammer (1898-1990) – head of Occidental Petroleum, established America’s first business contacts with the Soviet Union. 
- Armand Leo – production manager for movie Hairspray (2007) 
- Armand Jean du Plessis Cardinal de Richelieu (1585-1642) – French Cardinal in the Catholic Church, minister to King Louis XIII, dedicated to monarchy and expansion of French control and influence in the world, developed a reputation for ruthlessness. 
- Armand Weaver – assistant director of 2005 production of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe 
Campbell, Mike. "View Name: Armand." Behind the Name. 6 May 2008 <http://www.behindthename.com/name/armand/>.
"11 results for armand ." Place Names.com. Buttle and Tuttle Ltd. 6 May 2008 <http://www.placenames.com/>.
"Armand." BabyNamer. Oxygen Media. 6 May 2008 <http://www.babynamer.com/armand/>.
"Armand A. Cure ('43)." Go Rhody.com. University of Rhode Island. 6 May 2008 <http://gorhody.cstv.com/genrel/cure43_armanda00.html/>.
"Armand Cure." Basketball Historian. basketballhistorian.com. 6 May 2008 <http://www.basketballhistorian.com/players.cfm?lookie_player=CUREAR01/>.
"Armand - Name Meaning and Origin." Think Baby Names. Thinkbabynames.com. 6 May 2008 <http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search.php?s=armand&g=1&t=1/>.
"Baby Name Armand." Baby Names Magic. 6 May 2008 <http://www.babynamesmagic.com/a-boy/baby-boy-names-armand.html/>.
"Baby names - the name Armand." YeahBaby.com. YeahBaby.com. 6 May 2008 <http://www.yeahbaby.com/baby-name.php?name=Armand/>.
"Hammer." UCLA. 6 May 2008 <http://www.hammer.ucla.edu/index.htm/>.
"Meaning and origin of Armand." Birthcare. Birthcare, LLC. 6 May 2008 <http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/M/German/meaning.asp?name=Armand/>.
"Popularity of the male name Armand." Social Security Online. 11 May 2007. Social Security Administration. 6 May 2008 <http://ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/>.
"St. Ormond." Catholic Online. Catholic Online. 6 May 2008 <http://www.catholic.org/search_site.php?search_term=armand&qqq=Saints/>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 6 May 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=char&q=armand&x=18&y=11>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 6 May 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=nm&q=armand&x=3&y=7>.
IMDb The Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com, Inc.. 6 May 2008 <http://www.imdb.com/find?s=tt&q=armand&x=23&y=7>.
Armand Smith, Armand Johnson, Armand Williams, Armand Jones, Armand Brown, Armand Davis, Armand Miller, Armand Wilson, Armand Moore, Armand Taylor, Armand Abeyta, Armand Abramson, Armand Accarino, Armand Acciari, Armand Acciavatti, Armand Acuna, Armand Addario, Armand Adel, Armand Adkins, Armand Affricano, Armand Afilalo, Armand Aghajanian, Armand Agostinelli, Armand Agu, Armand Aguillon, Armand Aagnon, Armand Aalamian, Armand Abad, Armand Abadji, Armand Abbott, Armand Abdelnassar, Armand Adam, Armand Agasian, Armand Agbo, Armand Aguinaldo, Armand Abay, Armand Abbamonte, Armand Abbondanza, Armand Abisror, Armand Accilli, Armand Accius, Armand Ackerman, Armand Acosta, Armand Adams, Armand Advilens, Armand Ague, Armand Aguirre, Armand Agundez, Armand Aaron, Armand Abecassis, More results
Author: Madeleine Wieder
|Meaning||soldier, protection +|
|Meaningnc||soldier, protection +|
|Origin||German +, and French +|
|Pronunciation||ar-MAHN ar-MAHND +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Amanda +, Armando +, Arminda +, Herman +, and Ormond +|