|Meaning:||most holy, silvery|
|Related Names:||Adriana, Ariadne, Ariane, Arianna, Arianne, Arieana, Arionna, Arriana, Aryana, Aryonna, Oriana|
This free name resource is powered, inspired and maintained by the community friendly domain registrar, Name.com. We offer domain names. premium domains, and cheap domain names. So whatever the origin, whether old or new, popular or rare, you can get your baby started with their very own web presence! Please join our effort by writing about a name subject not yet covered, or adding to an existing article. Muchas gracias.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Ariana has several origins.
- Ariana may be, through the spelling Arianna, the Italian form of the Greek Ariadne. The roots of the name are Ari meaning "most" and adnos meaning "holy." In Greek mythology, Ariadne was an important player in the story of the Minotaur and the labyrinth, and was the consort of the god Dionysus.
- Ariana could be an elaborated form of the Italian name Aria, which means "a melody." An aria has come to mean a solo performance during an opera.
- The name Ariana may be of Welsh origin. In Welsh, it means "silvery." A related name, Arianwyn, means "woman of silver."
- Ariana may be an alternative spelling of Aryana, a Persian name. Aryana is related to Aryan, which traces back to the Sanskrit and means "noble." Other interpretations for Aryana are "light of the Aryans," or "pretty Eastern girl."
In the United States, the name Ariana first appeared on the list of top 1000 most popular girls' names in the year 1978. It jumped from number 925 on the chart in 1978 to 598 in 1980, and steadily rose up the chart until it broke the top 100 in 2001. Popularity has continued to increase, and in 2007, Ariana ranked as the 73rd most popular girl's name in the United States.
The alternate spelling, Arianna, is equally popular. In 2007, Arianna ranked as the 70th most popular girl's name. Another spelling, Aryanna, is also a top 1000 name.
Ariana is a popular name in New Zealand. In 2003, Ariana ranked as the 77th most popular girl's name in New Zealand.
Ariana is a popular name in Catalonia. It has been a top 300 name since at least 1996, and ranked highest at number 132 in 2002.
Ariana is also a top 500 name in Canada, Australia and Norway.
- In Latvia, the day recognized as a Name Day for Ariana is February 22nd.
- Ariana Dumbledore: sister of Albus Dumbledore in the Harry Potter books
- Ariana Afghan Airlines
- Ariana Restaurant, Oregon
- Ariana Governorate: province of Tunisia
- Ariana Television Network, Kabul
- L'Arianna: 17th century baroque opera by Claudio Monteverdi
- Ariana Barouk: model
- Ariana Basco: sister of actors Darion, Derek, Dion, and Dante Basco
- Ariana Duarte: Television News Reporter
- Ariana Dubynin: actress
- Ariana Franklin (pen name): author
- Ariana Ghez: musician (born 1979)
- Ariana Jollee: porn star (born September 29, 1982)
- Ariana Nozeman: actress (born 1626)
- Ariana Richards: painter (born September 11, 1979)
- Ariana Savalas: actress, singer, daughter of actor Telly Savalas
- Arianna Stassinopolous (or Arianna Huffington): author and political commentator (born July 15, 1950)
- Tiffany Ariana Trump: daughter of businessman Donald Trump
Author: Sarena Ulibarri
|Meaning||most holy, silvery +|
|Meaningnc||most holy, silvery +|
|Origin||Greek +, Latin +, and Persian +|
|Rank in 2000s||0 +|
|Related||Adriana +, Ariadne +, Ariane +, Arianna +, Arianne +, Arieana +, Arionna +, Arriana +, Aryana +, Aryonna +, and Oriana +|