|Pronunciation:||ANN-gel-uh (European), ANN-jel-uh (English)|
|Related Names:||Angel, Angelica, Angelina, Angelle, Angie, Ann, Anne, Annie|
ORIGIN & HISTORY
The name Angela comes from the Greek word angelos, which means messenger. The name in English is considered to mean something like 'little cute one' or perhaps even 'little angel'.  The name has been awarded great popularity in the U.S. (see below) although it is no longer at the top of the charts.
The most popular time for Angela as a name in the U.S. was in the 1970s when it reach up to the fifth most popular baby name for girls. This popularity is no longer enjoyed by the name (current ratings are below 100) but it is still holding its own as a great name for baby girls. 
In Australia and Canada, the name remains even more popular than it currently is in the U.S. It is more popular in Canada than in Australia, although the name shows a decline in popularity in both countries.
- Angela Lansbury is one of the best well-known actresses of American history. Her work ranges from the television mystery series Murder, She Wrote to award-winning roles in many famous American musicals. At 82 years old, she is still one of the most well-known actresses, recognized in the musical Mame and the movie Bedknobs & Broomsticks. With a long list of awards to her name, and a longer list of nominations, her acting career has certainly been a fruitful one. 
- Angela of Foligno was a Catholic saint that differed from many profiles of female saints. She is said to have had a very wild early life, marrying young and is thought to have committed a shameful sin that she never revealed. Despite this early wild life, she converted following some trauma in her life and prayed to Frances of Assissi for assistance. Her unusual route to sainthood is what makes her name famous among Catholic saints. 
- Angela of Foligno (Catholic Saint, Franciscan born 1248 and died 1309)
- Angela Chase was the name of the teenage girl played by Claire Danes in the television show My So-Called Life.
- Angela Lansbury (actress)
- Angela Bassett (actress)
- Angela Bowie (wife of David Bowie)
- Angela Davis (political activist)
- Angela Lindvall (supermodel)
Angela Smith, Angela Johnson, Angela Williams, Angela Jones, Angela Brown, Angela Davis, Angela Miller, Angela Wilson, Angela Moore, Angela Taylor, Angela Aaberg, Angela Aaby, Angela Aadahl, Angela Aagaard, Angela Aaker, Angela Aakre, Angela Aalberg, Angela Aalbers, Angela Aalders, Angela Aaltonen, Angela Aamot, Angela Aanas, Angela Aanenson, Angela Aar, Angela Aarde, Angela Aarnes, Angela Aaron, Angela Aaron-perkins, Angela Aaronson, Angela Aasen, Angela Aavik, Angela Aba, Angela Abad, Angela Abad-castro, Angela Abadia, Angela Abailey, Angela Abaldo, Angela Aballi, Angela Abalos, Angela Abarno, Angela Abarta, Angela Abascal, Angela Abatangelo, Angela Abuahmad, Angela Abuan, Angela Agam, Angela Agee, Angela Alducente, Angela Angelina, Angela Angeline, More results
Author: Rachel Hanson
|Pronunciation||ANN-gel-uh (European), ANN-jel-uh (English) +|
|Rank in 2000s||102 +|
|Related||Angel +, Angelica +, Angelina +, Angelle +, Angie +, Ann +, Anne +, and Annie +|