|Pronunciation:||AL-fred, al-FRED, AHL-fret, ahl-fred|
|Meaning:||elf counsel, wise counsel, supernaturally wise|
|Related Names:||Ahlfred, Ailfred, Ailfrid, Ailfryd, Al, Alf, Alfeo, Alfey, Alfie, Alford, Alfre, Alfredas, Alfredo, Alfredos, Alfrey, Alfy, Avery, Elfred, Fred, Freddie, Freddy, Fredo, Walfred, Wilfred|
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
The name Alfred derives from the Old English “Aelfred” meaning “elf counsel,” which is a combination of “aelf” meaning “elf” and “raed” meaning “counsel.” Some believed elves to be supernatural beings with special powers, such as seeing into the future, giving the name the added meaning of “wise counsel.”
Alfred the Great was a King of Wessex in the 9th century whose popularity helped ensure the continuation of the use of the name. In England, the name decreased in popularity after the Medieval ages, but was revived in the 19th century.
According to the 1990 United States Census, Alfred ranked as the 125th most popular male first name and the 4,520th most popular last name. In the United States, the name ranked in the Top 1,000 most popular boy's names every decade since 1880.
The name Alfred has ranked in the Top 100 most popular boy’s names every year of the 21st century from 2000 (78th) through 2006 (51st).
Sweden Popularity of the boy's name Alfred in the 21st Century.
- Year: 2006 Rank:51st
- Year: 2005 Rank:51st
- Year: 2004 Rank:61st
- Year: 2003 Rank:56th
- Year: 2002 Rank:56th
- Year: 2001 Rank:74th
- Year: 2000 Rank:78th
In 2007, the popularity of the boy’s name Alfie ranked 10th in England/Wales and 13th in Wales.
- January 3rd is celebrated in Sweden in honor of the name Alfred.
- February 23rd is celebrated in Hungary in honor of the name Alfred.
- June 19th is celebrated in Slovakia in honor of the name Alfred.
- July 4th is celebrated in Poland in honor of the name Alfred.
- July 19th is celebrated in Poland in honor of the name Alfred.
- August 4th is celebrated in Poland in in honor of the name Alfred.
- August 14th is celebrated in Poland in honor of the name Alfred.
- August 15th is celebrated in France in honor of the name Alfred.
- October 26th is celebrated by the Catholic Church in honor of St. Alfred the Great.
- October 29th is celebrated in Finland and Estonia in honor of the name Alfred.
- December 14th is celebrated in Poland in honor of the name Alfred.
- "Alfred” was the name of the butler to Bruce Wayne in the fictional “Batman.”
- "Alf” was an Emmy award winning television show in the 1980’s featuring an extraterrestrial, nicknamed Alf, as the lead character.
- Alfred Lord Tennyson – Former Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom.
- Alfred Hitchcock – Director, producer, actor and writer who was nominated for five Academy Awards (Oscars) and received the “Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award” in 1968.
- Alfred Charles Kinsey – Biologist and professor who founded the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction.
- Alfred Lothar Wegener – Scientist who is most notably known for his his theory of continental drift.
- Alfred Nobel – Inventor of dynamite who later created the Nobel Prizes, which are awarded for physical science, medical science, chemistry, literary work and peace.
- Alfred G. Gilman - Nobel Prize Winner for Medicine in 1994.
Alfred Dupree, Alfred Smith, Alfred Johnson, Alfred Williams, Alfred Jones, Alfred Brown, Alfred Davis, Alfred Miller, Alfred Wilson, Alfred Moore, Alfred Taylor, Alfred Aadahl, Alfred Aaron, Alfred Aastrup, Alfred Abad, Alfred Abadie, Alfred Abayan, Alfred Abayomicole, Alfred Abazi, Alfred Abbadessa, Alfred Abbadini, Alfred Abbamonte, Alfred Abbonato, Alfred Abbot, Alfred Abboud, Alfred Abbruzzese, Alfred Abbuhl, Alfred Abdella, Alfred Abdo, Alfred Abdulrazak, Alfred Abe, Alfred Abellera, Alfred Aboagye, Alfred Abramson, Alfred Abriola, Alfred Acou, Alfred Aeberhard, Alfred Akinsete, Alfred Antone, Alfred Antonelli, Alfred Antonetti, Alfred Antoni, Alfred Antonia, Alfred Antonicelli, Alfred Antonik, Alfred Antonini, Alfred Antonio, Alfred Antoniotti, Alfred Antonsen, Alfred Antonson, More results
Author: Rich Kachold
|Meaning||elf counsel, wise counsel, supernaturally wise +|
|Meaningnc||elf counsel, wise counsel, supernaturally wise +|
|Pronunciation||AL-fred, al-FRED, AHL-fret, ahl-fred +|
|Rank in 2000s||676 +|
|Related||Ahlfred +, Ailfred +, Ailfrid +, Ailfryd +, Al +, Alf +, Alfeo +, Alfey +, Alfie +, Alford +, Alfre +, Alfredas +, Alfredo +, Alfredos +, Alfrey +, Alfy +, Avery +, Elfred +, Fred +, Freddie +, Freddy +, Fredo +, Walfred +, and Wilfred +|